2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novice catfisherman here trying to catch some in the backwater about 20 miles north of Toledo Bend. The river is out of its banks and I set lines in: water a couple of feet deep in the flooded timber, in old ox bows, and near the river channel. Not a single fish. Bait was soap so maybe that is the problem. There is a current even in the flooded timber. Would Catfish Charlie be better?
I thought the catfish would be foraging in the backwater catching stuff that is not usually in the water as well as perch that are doing the same. To much water have them too spread out? Migrated to the lake for the heat of the summer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are limb lines prohibited? If not, what is the cheapest and easiest method to build and transport?

·
Registered
14,478 Posts
Try baiting with shad or cut fish in those flooded timber ox bows and channels. Shrimp, or beef livers would be the next best choice that you could buy if you don't have a way to catch shad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had good luck with the yellow grasshoppers on the colorado lately, but now are lines are 8ft under water. Catch the grasshoppers at night off the tall johnson grass and weeds with a flashlight, you can easily catch a 100+. Then feed them johnson grass for a couple days, the catfish eat them for the grass inside their belly.

When grasshoppers arent out we use blackland worms which always work good, just find some good blackland, usually in the river bottom, and pour some soap. Lots of worms should come up quickly, especially with the ground so wet right now.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have a deer lease along the Sabine south of the lake and I cannot catch a catfish to save my life, was told by some of the locals fishing the river that it is only good when the river is on a rise and to use local bait as in shad/perch. I don't have a problem catching as many catfish as I want to clean on some of the local lakes but that river is giving me hell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts