2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got out for another great trip. I got a crew consisting of My dad, My Brother, My Uncle, and myself together and left the boat ramp about 6:00 and were greeted with flat seas. First few stops were under 30 miles and all that were there was sharks, undersize snapper, and spadefish galore. We ventured on out to the 40 mile range and found 1 keeper snapper. They weren't cooperating. My uncle had never been offshore and I was determined to put him on some kind of fish today. We started trolling for kings and sure enough, when they started smoking drag, he was excited. We boxed a few and released a lot more. Then it happened, we had a kingfish at the boat and I saw a big green shape coming at the boat.. Well, we dont see many dolphin so I went hysteric for a minute fumbling for something to throw at it. Then 5 more appeared at the boat, all in the 20 to 30lb range. My brother reached into the chum cooler and threw out a few shad. Sure enough they started eating them. Then he quickly put a shad on his line and freelined it and BAM, it hit and began its tail-walking and fighting his heart out. We finally got him in the boat.. He was 38.5".

This is only our 2nd dolphin to ever catch. My uncle and dad had light tackle at the time, both hooked up and got broke off. We played with them for a while and they vanished. This wasn't a big time meat haul, and we had only managed 1 snapper in the box, but it was still one of my best trips yet..

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
NICE Mahi Mahi

nice pic. and good report. Sometimes "One" fish can make a trip. Sounds like ya'll had a blast.

Rowdy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts