2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any other members that have heard or can verify any of these reports, or is it just a media spin?

I went to the weigh in site on Saturday and looked around and heard some stories and I have read the articles that the writers are putting out from the tournament. The guys that won "supossedly" caught 150 fish today and were back at the dock at 11:30 and they ran 25 miles each way. I heard a couple of reports yesterday that one team had over 100 fish yesterday in the middle of the lake and were back at the dock sleeping by 11am.

Has anyone heard this or maybe can verify this info, or is the stardard "fishing frenzy" associated with a Redfish Cup?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's sounding like a story I might have told! If they ran 25 miles each way, that would put them (1) offshore, (2) nearly to Big Lake, (3) past Beaumont, or (4) High Island. 150 fish in that time frame would be a one every 2 minutes or so (please don't check my math!). On my best day in the Sabine Lake Area, I might have caught 15 reds. It's good, but not that good. WD

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I could not see catching, releasing and retieing lines every two minutes. It takes time to get the fish in the boat and it takes time to unhook and it takes time to get over being upset about the fish being too small. I do not see how it could be true. My partner and I have caught quite a few fish during a touney but if many of the fish are small we move to another spot. The key is to find BIG fish because the other guys are on em'.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I fished with one of the teams before the Cup and I have never seen Reds like that before!!! I would of not doubt that at all. It was literally all the reds you wanted to catch but they left them alone for tourney day and did well. These guys are pros and know what to look for and how to catch fish. Most if not all fish braid line and horse those reds in so there is no need for retie. I thought there was lots of reds down south in Laguna Madre, but Sabine Lake had redfish all over it!!

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,449 Posts
I was there yesterday and I heard it with my own ears from the fisherman, not media spin. So, we can either believe them or, sit in our chairs and be Monday morning quarterbacks. These fellas can fish. Oh, and congrats BS on a good showing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Fish Aholic said:
I fished with one of the teams before the Cup and I have never seen Reds like that before!!! I would of not doubt that at all. It was literally all the reds you wanted to catch but they left them alone for tourney day and did well. These guys are pros and know what to look for and how to catch fish. Most if not all fish braid line and horse those reds in so there is no need for retie. I thought there was lots of reds down south in Laguna Madre, but Sabine Lake had redfish all over it!!
Well said..........and yes, there is a distinct difference between weekend anglers and pros. (I'm not nocking anyone...but a pro is a pro)
These guys are flat good at what they do. If it was easy.....every cup and FLW field would be full with a waiting list.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I Fished Sabine Lake On Saturday .not In The Tournment .and In A Span Of About 2 Hours We Caught About 20 Reds Most Were Rat's But Boxed A 21 22 And 27 .about 2 Hundred Yards Off The La Coast Line In About 5 Ft Of Water .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here is what I've been able to put together from the reports I've heard. Take it for what it's worth. I have fished the Cup in the past but didn't fish this tournament. I've heard reports from a few different souces and this is how I think it went down.

Young and Catchings are the team that claimed those numbers. In a normal day of fishing, yes, that many fish is insane. However, you have to consider the events leading up to the tournament that produced those numbers.

During a tournament like the Redfish Cup, these fish get pressured in ways they have never been pressured before. Back lakes where you think nobody ever goes, see dozens of boats throughout the week.

These fish get "burned" hard and this makes them behave in ways most of us are not used to.

In this particular situation, I believe Tim and Jason found a group of fish that had been more or less cornered due to all of the traffic and burning activity. We're not talking about your average day on the water, these fish had been pressured into a small area for an entire week. At least, that is what I've been able to put together based on the reports I've heard.

They caught a few fish Friday, caught a few Saturday, and then just crushed 'em on Sunday. I think it has to do with those fish finally settling down after being buzzed over all week.

Imagine if you could go in a marsh and just corral every fish from that marsh into one little lake. I think that is the situation that Tim and Jason came across on Sunday.

I don't mean to make it sound easy, Tim and Jason had to be very observant and spend a lot of time on the water to do what they did. Kudos to them for getting it done. I know they had a pretty rough time of things here in Kemah so they bounced back in grand fashion.

The thing to consider is that these tournament anglers will run their boats anywhere to find fish. These guys aren't scared to risk a lower unit if it means a $40,000 paycheck. So those private little back lakes that a lot of us consider "local secrets" get hammered. A 150 fish day is crazy if you're thinking in terms of your everyday fishing trip. But during these tournaments, some weird things happen because of all the pressure these fish experience. It happens in just about every tournament, you hear something off the wall like this happening.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any one have a report on trout from the past few days. Where are they? Out in lake or at the jetties? Is there some place to get live bait down that way? Want to take the grand son Thur before he has to get ready to go back to school. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Went saturday, the store on the fourway only had fresh dead shrimp and frozen offshore bait. Looks like the only way to get live bait is your trusty cast net!!!

·
Humanoid
108 Posts
Well said Jason. I have had a couple experiences recently where I have found a couple spots where you can sit on and catch fish on every cast. They are not keepers every time but sit on it and the papa bear will mosey through and you snag it. That's what these guys are after, a couple of these spots and you are in the money.

What impressed me moreso was the size of the fish between the Port A event and the Kemah event. The winners at Kemah (I forget thier names) consistanly brought +/-18 LBS a day to the scales. 15-16 LBS was the winning numbers in Port A. I guess the big(ger) could not be located?

sS

·
Always Chasing Tails
203 Posts
100 Reds

I am a tournament fisherman from Texas and grew up in Louisiana. I have been a number of trips that we have could over a 100 reds in a day. Louisiana it happens often. Now when my partner and I are fishing a tournament and we are catching a bunch of fish that are not tournament size we leave. Why would we be fishing for 50k and stay there catching little fish. Now let's do the math. The media said they quit fishing at 1130am to return to the dock. If they started fishing at 7am and quit at 1130 they would of caught a fish every 3 minutes. Do not get me wrong I am sure they caught a bunch of reds.

·
www.crittergitters.net
1,894 Posts
I fished Sabine last week with the kiddos and we found a school of reds 14"-20" as many as they wanted to catch we stayed in one spot for an hour then left them bitting to look for bigger ones ,but we probably landed 50 easy. I did not count how many ,but after 20 I was already tired we used Gold spoons and tops.

·
Thank You! Next
7,758 Posts
I won't get in a P#ssing match with anybody here, but the 2 days before the tourney and Friday and Saturday , excluding Sunday were Astronomical in Numbers and YES it did happen!!! It was a great day to have a great day, we caught on Friday, right in that neighbor hood of fish.
We had an absolute blast and should have been close to a Sunday run, but I could not put the last 3 Reds in the boat , but they were on the line and 10 feet away:spineyes:

Tight lines Guys

bslittle79 said:
I'm sure RedXCross can fill you in on how many they caught, but I'd say 100 is possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
tejano,

THat is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. Your entire post sounds rediculous...corraled fish?. "The pressure allowed them to catch that many fish"
WOW!!! excuse my spelling.

My dad always told me "it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and let them know for sure."

Was this a joke?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
unfortunately 123fish, you dont know him very well.. What he is saying is very very TRUE. So until you learn something, dont bother saying anything.

Red to you!!!!!!!!!

Jason, what you said is right on....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts