2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can i find sabiki rigs in the houston area?. i looked in the academy by my house.. none. i bought these little silverside deals (3 in a pack) and made my own. i tried them but they didnt work until i tipped them wit lil pieces of squid. how do you work these rigs effectively? work them deep or just where you see the fish? thanks in advance.

tight lines.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We use them to catch our bait. Find a school of Pogies or Yellow Tails and just drop it staight down into them. They work great around the rigs. Let it fall slowly until you feel the first tap, then start jigging up and down slowly. We catch them 4 to 5 at a time! It's actually quite fun. Put a small weight on the bottom snap swivel (1/4 oz). As far as where to get them, we get ours from Gander Mountain. We've also caught smacks with them. Good Luck!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Try an Academy on the south side of town. The store stock different at other locations. Or, FTU on 45 south.I seem to have better luck with the #6 rigs. Also the ones with many colors on one rig work well. The only downfall with them is they usually have more hooks on them which could transulate into more tangles or a hooked crewman/captain. If you can see the bait, after hooking the first fish leave it down there. The action of the hooked fish will catch more. But, when all else fails do as you have done and tip with squid.

Victor

·
Registered
552 Posts
Marburgers and FTU have lots. I like the small white ones with gold hook, only problem is the light line breaks a lot and those rigs are easily torn up by th e fish.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Do not open them until ready to use. Have a couple of extras as they explode when a big king hits one of your livies on the way to the boat. Try not to handle the bait, just grab the hook and turn it up side down to let the bait fall in the live well. If you put to many in the well they will all die.I get mine at FTU.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we also have a sabiki rod..it works great..the entire sabiki goes inside the hollow rod and the weight at the end stops you from reeling it all the way up..it does not get tangled up in you or anything else with this rod..pretty sweet!!

·
Get Bent
1,273 Posts
Sabiki Rod

You can make your own rod with a peace of 1/2" PVC and some hose clamps. Just drill a hole in the pvc so the line will go inside the pipe, and then use the clamps to clamp the reel on. I call it the Ghetto Stick and it works just fine. Its just not all that pretty, but it makes your pocket feel better.

·
Salty Dawg
7,688 Posts
jrracer4233 said:
we also have a sabiki rod..it works great..the entire sabiki goes inside the hollow rod and the weight at the end stops you from reeling it all the way up..it does not get tangled up in you or anything else with this rod..pretty sweet!!
Worth every single penny!

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
I've found that the sabikis that are big enough to hold up to the size bait I want either won't fit in the sabiki rod at all, or are too long to fit.
I'd sell mine cheap, but already promised to someone the next time I go out on his boat..
I just use my trout rod..

a

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Sabiki

Believe it or not - I bought my sabiki rigs at WalMart in LaPorte. Not a big selection - but they were only about 2 bux. And yes ... they are a hassle to use a second time - tangle very easily.

I also have seen them at Academy on Beltway8 and Spencer and FTU,

Mark

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
I've had good luck taking super cheapo small spec rigs cutting the jiggs off and making my own out of 50lb test line.

I make a double or triple dropper loop rig and cut the loop close to the knot on one end and tie my jigs on. Haven't had one break yet..

a

·
Registered
97 Posts
How long a piece of PVC do you use. Now I'm a very visual person...don't u have to drill another hole right in front of the reel...amn I hate it when I eat a big lunch.

·
Get Bent
1,273 Posts
Long enough to fit the rig inside.. Actually you dont want to drill the hole right in front of the reel, because the pvc is very flexable and will bend. Causing your line to rub on the pvc and weakin your line. Drill the hole about a foot up from the reel. Just build one and try it out. PVC is very cheap if not free.... Also if you get a hot surface you can actually melt the end in to a mushroom shape so the hooks dont hang up when you reel the rig up inside the pipe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats awesome Snake...I have all the materials sittin in the garage. Now I have something to do while I throw a few back tonight.

Tanks!!!

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
da mn snake, I still wanna know where that pic came from on your avatar..

a

1 - 20 of 27 Posts