2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can weather (such as an early freeze) kick the rut off? Down in South Texas, the rut usually starts around December 10 and runs thru just after Christmas... I'm wondering if the cold spell we're getting this week will cause it to start and end sooner (by a week). Anyone seen something like this change the rut pattern in your area in the past? I think I've heard this before, just haven't seen it.

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
The weather has very little to no affect on the actual rut. The cold weather, however, does make deer move to feed. So, IMO, the bottom line, early cold weather helps the hunting. It also kills the darn mosquitos, which ain't all bad!!!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Our ranch is in McMullen county and our rut generally gets going around the 10th of December as well. At best we usually see a little prerut activity Thanks Giving week. This past Thursday I saw 4 mature bucks with does between 3 and dark. I didn't see any the rest of the weekend once it warmed up. So I don't know if it was the cooler weather, the fact that we have so many does without fawns, a combination of the two, or just what the heck is going on. All I know is Friday can't get here fast enough!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think cold weather increases the deer movement during the day. This causes the deer to be out and you may see more rutting activity that you may normally not see because the deer are moving more at night and this is when the rutting activity is happening. JMO

Professor Jones

·
Registered
909 Posts
I believe the moon phase actualy triggers the rut, the cold weather makes the deer more active and move more durring the daylight hours when we would see them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts