2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cool front passing through dfw yesterday, I just couldnt stand it. I left work about noon and after filling feeders and moving a blind, I got into my bow stand about 4. Saw a small 8Pt chasing a doe. This morning I saw this non typical that we have passed on the previous two years(I know, we shoulda taken him out of the gene pool) and man he has probably put on an extra 20 inches of horns this year. He was all over this one hot doe. he came running by and checked out my Tinks 69 scent bomb for about 1/10 of a second and of course, he didnt stand still long enough for a shot.
so, dust off your rattlin horns. It's ON!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can't believe that...we hunt south of you a piece and have seen no rutting activity...should be here in full swing by the end of Novemeber when we get that full moon.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was taken back abit myself... I have been hunting this place for 5 yrs and have never seen them trailing does this early. Shoot, they are almost always still batchelored up during bow season. I was very surprised to see them running around like that. I was trying to figure why those does were acting so screwy, when I saw the buck come flying in from the brush. I had plans to rattle, but forgot them in the truck. We are off of 281 between Antelope and Windthorst. I hope it lasts for a while cause my wife has me going to birthday parties and baby showers until the weekend after gun season opens.
Hey Dbar, where were you hunting??

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Bret that is some good hunting in your area...My wifes uncle owns the meat market in Windthorst...she wants to retire up there since she is from that area...I will agree only if the deer hunting is still good...I don't see any reason it will change. It sure is a long drive from H-town.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buck,
We havent killed any monsters out there, but we have seen pics of a few bigguns that have been killed not too far from us. It is some pretty country around there, that is if you like the smell of dairies.. Windthorst really is a nice community, everyone we have met around there have been good folks. Yeah, and the meat market makes some mean german sausage.
Adios,
Bret

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Thumbs up on that sausage, that is some goooood stuff, Next time your in there tell Tio Cano "hola" for me.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DBar
I saw a post on another hunting board.. Aguy was hunting near Jacksboro and saw a few bucks trailing does. who knows? maybe this warm up will shut it down for a while in our area. I didnt get a chance to go hunting this past weekend. Had to go to Texas Motor Speedway for the IRL race.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Montague

Im only about 60 miles East of Archer County here in Montague County and they aint even thinking about the ladies yet. I have kept records the last 8 years and they bust loose rutting up here the first time around late Oct. to early Nov., usually come in around a full moon. Never seen rutting activity up here before Oct. 24. But- this isnt a usual year either, 60 miles can make a difference. Its usually about the first or second weekend of gun season when you see lots of chasing and lip curling up here. I hope they go in full rut the last few days of Oct. If they do it will be perfect timing for the gun opener.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seaslug
Our rut usually coicides with the dates you have given. The bucks that I saw were not in full on slobbering rut, but their necks were starting to swell and they were chasing the does around pretty good. I corn the roads at our place and usually during bow season, the bucks will all be feeding together in the evenings, but this year I havent seen two together. We arent too far from you.. we are near the clay/archer county line in south east archer co. I am going out this weekend and see if this heat has slowed em down any. Looks like its going to be a good deer season.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Good Year

Bret- I think it will be an outstanding year for horns. The only problem is we have had so much rain all year that the grass is 5 foot tall all over our place and all the acorns. The deer don't have to move much or go to feeders. All the small waterholes are full so they have water everywhere. If they do move, chances are they will use the lush vegetation for cover and will be very hard to see. I have never seen such tall grass and lush vegetation up here. And this is by far the most acorns I have ever seen. All that being said, we have a couple of Boneafied Monster Bucks on the place this year! I saw one 2 weeks ago that would go 135 to 140BC easy. Back in Sept., I saw another that was truley amazing, I had to look twice to believe my own eyes. We rarely see any bucks scoring over 120BC, but we have at least 2 this year. We had a big carry over of 3.5 year olds last year. Now- if I can only outsmart one of them. And what better time than during the rut! The biggest problem I see ahead for the early gun season is all the tall grass and weeds. Better have hawk eyes!

·
Registered
298 Posts
We had that problem with tall grass last year...mesquite trees never shed their leaves until X-mas and this year they already have. I hope that is an indicator that we are to haev a cold winter....a good frost will remedy the grass situation. Deer rarely eat dead brown grass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts