2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
15,098 Posts
Last opening weekend the bucks in my area were still all piled together as friends, not this opening weekend.
I hunt about 30 miles past Junciton close to Sonora and I saw very little rut activity last weekend. BUT....
The bucks I saw and and I saw both mature and immature had pretty dark hocks.
Only one doe came into my sights and no bucks followed her......
By Thanksgiving, I'm hoping it will be going good and time for rattling.....
One of the mature bucks, a 5.5 year old, did get a little tiffed when a 2.5 year old 8 pnt strolled up to his feeder....He put his ears back, came out of that feed pen in a hurry and ran the youngster off. His neck was pretty big as well...
I almost shot him, he was a nice mid 130's ten point....8 with two big kikkers, on both G-2's..

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We saw about 4-5 deer per hunt, where we normally see 20-30. I've heard people blaming it on the moon and abundance of food. It has been the slowest season so far for us. Hopefully it is just because of all the acorns and green vegetation.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
We hunt 6 miles East of Roosevelt and it was slow opening weekend but State Vet just texted me that he has seen 2 mature bucks trailing does this morning.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hunted our lease in Junction on Monday through yesterday morning. I had a couple of the worst hunts that I've had since getting on the lease 12 years ago. I did not even have a doe come to a feeder, just spikes and yearlings. TONS of acorns on the ground. I did see a couple of bucks chasing does in the distance. I rattled in 4 young bucks on different hunts, young 6s and 8s. They came straight to the horns. I've never had luck rattling this early in Junction and usually wait until next weekend or the following, but figured why not, it was so slow. Saw a young 10 working on a rub, also.

TW

·
Registered
616 Posts
saw one 8 pt this am at my blind with nose to the ground and moving in a hurry. been real slow between bandera and kerrville. i think the rut is about to kick off next week and i think with the moon next week, it should be a good week.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What ranch?

Any reports from the hill country on the rut? We hunt in Roosevelt, just past Junction.
I had a lease in Roosevelt for 16 years, but lost it when the old man died and it went to the heirs. We even built a nice cabin on the place too.
It was the Otto Schwiening place. Going west out of Roosevelt, turn right on the 1st road, cross the river, take a right at the fork in the road, go up the hill and it was the house on the left.
Lots of good times there.

Tinman

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
I had a lease in Roosevelt for 16 years, but lost it when the old man died and it went to the heirs. We even built a nice cabin on the place too.
It was the Otto Schwiening place. Going west out of Roosevelt, turn right on the 1st road, cross the river, take a right at the fork in the road, go up the hill and it was the house on the left.
Lots of good times there.

Tinman
If I'm not mistaken, that is real close to the Preston Joy Ranch. Near the river crossing with the flat rock that is the local carwash. Pretty area.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Most of the guys on our lease are seeing bucks chasing does but I think my stand is in the gay part of town. The only time I've seen bucks chase a doe is to get them away from the corn. I've had everything from 3's to 9's so far but not nearly as many as normal.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
saw one 8 pt this am at my blind with nose to the ground and moving in a hurry. been real slow between bandera and kerrville. i think the rut is about to kick off next week and i think with the moon next week, it should be a good week.
The rut kicked off two weeks ago in this area-i watched them everyday! Definitely in Post rut now but not to worry they will kick in again!

·
Lovetheoutdoors
17 Posts
I'm just south of Llano and the rut is in full swing. Rattled up several bucks on evening of Nov. 6th and took nice 8 point with my bow (See "First Buck with Bow" thread in Bow hunting) Going out this afternoon as moon is perfect and great cold front just came thru, hopefully cull an older 6 point I've seen several times.

·
TAMU '90
58 Posts
Hunted Fri-Sun there (south on 377), and saw three mature bucks. Not at all interested in does. Did see some youngsters try, but the does weren't having any of it......Been hunting there 22 yrs, always goes nuts there about Thanksgiving...Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts