2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a last minute chance to get on a lease in the the area and hunt Dec.7-11. Is the rut usually going on in that area at that time, hard to tell from the TPWD maps... I know it was pretty dry that way this past summer, how are the deer looking?

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
We saw 20 -1 on the does to bucks when we went the weekend b4 rifle opener..
It was plenty dry there..

Got a last minute chance to get on a lease in the the area and hunt Dec.7-11. Is the rut usually going on in that area at that time, hard to tell from the TPWD maps... I know it was pretty dry that way this past summer, how are the deer looking?

·
Registered
985 Posts
On our property, which is 15 miles southwest of town those dates are the best time to be there. the first two weeks of december are when i try to spend all of my time out there. my folks are at our place in rocksprings now mom saw a pretty good axis around the house yesterday. the bucks havent really been coming to the feeders...too many acorns. that will all change soon when we get a hard freeze. it was verrrrry dry this past summer so antlers are down a little bit. luckilly we protein feed to try to counteract it. have seen more rattle snakes than usual this year. the pigs have left our place i think...we have killed 150 pigs a year for the past 8 yrs. so i think they might be tired of seeing their siblings getting shot. watch out we saw a mountain lion 3 weeks ago at 300yds. couldnt get a shot off. also there was a mexican black bear that was printed in the paper about a month ago that was seen 10 miles south of town i believe. not trying to scare you or anything...just thought you might want to know what was going on in the area....good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
they are rutting now

i am just north of town off 2360 and they rut the week of thanksgiving every yea i have a ranch there and every since i have been there it always during thanks giving week

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rocksprings

I just got back form our place which is about 15 miles East of town. Saw several bucks running does. All bucks were solo. No bachelor groups. Talked to our new Warden (Scott Holly), he works Edwards, Co. He said some areas have started and some are more pre-rut. He felt like the next cold-front would push most of the other bucks into rut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts