2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I shoot sensor bunnies TFP.
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you're shooting your 50-500 mounted, have you noticed any problems with the tensioning of the tripod head? Does it seem to hold the camera without much movement if you let it sit unattended?

I love my 161 for stability, but it is completely useless for shooting where I have to move the set-up more than a few times.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Stability

Saltwater Servitude said:
When you're shooting your 50-500 mounted, have you noticed any problems with the tensioning of the tripod head? Does it seem to hold the camera without much movement if you let it sit unattended?

I love my 161 for stability, but it is completely useless for shooting where I have to move the set-up more than a few times.
I like to think I learn something every time I shoot. Whether it's what does work, ot even more importantly what doesn't. During the bullfrog shoot, I had to set up on an embankment. Since I use a ball head and a heavy tripod, in the interest of time (and perhaps losing the shot) I set up without leveling the pod as the adjustments can easily be made in the viewfinder.

I will never do that again. The tripod collar for the Bigma is mounted to provide a center of balance. Since the center of balance of the pod was off the weight of the camera and lens magnify the issue making it much more likely to tip over. Lesson learned.

I do have to aim a little above my subject as I'm locking down, which is a minor annoyance but workable. Once I'm locked down though I don't have any creep. I'm using a Manfrotto 3011BN with a 486RC2 head.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts