2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find Russell lures? I can't even find them on the web. A guy at work swears by them for good size kingfish but I don't even know what they look like. Does Roys in Corpus carry them?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
by the way when you reel those baits in be very careful. they require a lot of force to pull out of the water and with those 2 sets of treble hooks flying into the boat at speed they can hook up the humans real quick. also good lure to have your rookies practice on reeling in not near as good as reeling up a stretch 50 but will give them a feel for what a fish might feel like....rick

·
Registered
185 Posts
Russelure has been around for some time. About 1982 or so, I remember they were going out of business and I bought all I could find. I think I still have 25 or more from the original manufacture in their original package. Years went by, and somebody bought the rights to russelure. I belive this is correct, but I might be wrong.

When they came back on the market, the old timers said they weren't the same. Did not run as true as the old ones and the aluminum was thinner. Of course, this could have been a rumor. I'll go buy a new one and compare it to the ones made in the late 70s. They do work. Theres no doubt about it. Pull them close to the transom. Watch out when retreiving them as they will pop out of the water and come right at your face. I had to pull those trebles out of at least three people who did not bring them in properly. Put the boat in neutral and retrieve slowly when retreiving them.

·
omanj
558 Posts
I cannot tell you how many times we thought we had a fish hooked on one of those lures after a strike while trolling only to find it was the lure action that we felt and not a fish. I think the King was a 77 pounder that was caught on the Russellure. I remember reading and seeing the picture in Southern Outdoors in a kingfish article. I also recall that more than one person fought the fish and it was ineligible for a record. I still have the magazine somewhere and will look it up to confirm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great memories...I remember as a kid we would load up and go to Sporting Goods Incorporated (Downtown Houston) to buy a half case of gold and/or silver Russelures. We caught lots of kings on them and you are right Rick...we had several fly in the boat with us if we pulled them too fast. We used to pull the back hook off and run a wire with a whole ribbon fish on the rear as a teaser...nine times out of ten the Kingfish would hit the bait and get tangled in the trailer. I thought that was the only bait used at the time. GOOD TIMES...GOOD TIMES!

We have come a long way...in those days (just 20 years ago), a 18# King got gaffed and beat several times with a knocker of some sort in fear of getting loose in the boat (brutal)???? Now I call my dad and tell him that I am tailing and releasing 25# fish...he thinks I'm crazy!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I forgot about Sporting Goods Inc..... That was a real nice hunting store. The last time I was over there was in the late 80's -early 90's. The area had started to get a little rough though, are they still around?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts