2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was fishing earlier this week all around redfish bay and was curious about running the cut by hog island out to aransas bay. it looks like if i keep the pvc markers on my port side i'll be right in the cut if i'm running from hog island to aransas bay. would have followed someone but boat traffic was light when i was out during the week. those pvc poles are cut markers, right? :eek:
 

·
Time to make the Donuts...
Joined
·
3,315 Posts
chimchim said:
was fishing earlier this week all around redfish bay and was curious about running the cut by hog island out to aransas bay. it looks like if i keep the pvc markers on my port side i'll be right in the cut if i'm running from hog island to aransas bay. would have followed someone but boat traffic was light when i was out during the week. those pvc poles are cut markers, right? :eek:
It's not that simple unfortunately. Hog Island is on you left and there is a sandbar the seperates the channel from South Bay. I head for the gas wells on the right and once I get past them I keep the markers(big wooden polls) on my port side but here's the tricky part.

There is a severe dog leg left and then back right to get you into Aransas Bay. If you miss the first one you'll be in 3" of mud. If you miss the second on you will hit oyster reefs.

Download Google earth and take a look at the cut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
That is one of my favorite areas. Corpus Christi Bayou should show up perfect on your GPS. There is some good fishng along the drops in the fall and winter. Take it easy and watch GPS and you'll be fine.
Tight Knot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,592 Posts
Sounds simple but when we tried to run it in the Mosca from the shrimp boat channel to aransas bay we found that its well marked until you get around hog island then the markers sort of fade out. By the time we got close to CC cut, we couldnt tell where anything was and yeah, it got shallow. And that was with the GPS :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info fresh2salt, i'll give it a shot the next time i'm out there. gps seemed to have it marked pretty well but i wasn't real sure about the margin of error there. google earth is awesome for mapping out fishing trips btw. i ran the cut twice on google earth and only ran my mouse pointer aground once. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,140 Posts
If you are on the water during a low tide run it then and you can see the sandbars and spoil banks on the edges very clearly. Save the track and you should be good to go from then on.
 

·
Time to make the Donuts...
Joined
·
3,315 Posts
chimchim said:
thanks for the info fresh2salt, i'll give it a shot the next time i'm out there. gps seemed to have it marked pretty well but i wasn't real sure about the margin of error there. google earth is awesome for mapping out fishing trips btw. i ran the cut twice on google earth and only ran my mouse pointer aground once. :)
Don't be too quick to trust your GPS. I run a 276C with the BlueChart card and this last time I ran the cut my GPS showed that I was out of the channel when in fact I was at least 5ft inside the edge of it.

I learned to run the cut many years ago without the assistance of the GPS. Like stated before, run it slowly and try to follow a boat in and out a couple of times and you'll get the hang of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Keep the wells that are yellow to your left and that will keep you in the channel, until you get to the end then the last well will be on your right. Yes the pvc markers are there for a reason. Run it several times to get used to it. Repetition is the best teacher! GODSPEED!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
Haven't fished much north of the Port A causway in the past several years. Before the gas wells in Cummins cut , there were large pilings that lined the west side of the channel. Guess time and the sea worms got them. It used to be an easy run, even at night. I guess I'll have to take a look tomorrow and fight the weekend crowd.
 

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
I saw a guy in a 14 ft jon boat pull a 30" trout out of CC Bayou a few years ago.

I always take that ride slow because of those sharp dog legs, but I'm usually fishing along the way and in no hurry.
 

·
Time to make the Donuts...
Joined
·
3,315 Posts
Soapeddler said:
I saw a guy in a 14 ft jon boat pull a 30" trout out of CC Bayou a few years ago.

I always take that ride slow because of those sharp dog legs, but I'm usually fishing along the way and in no hurry.
I don't fish behind Traylor as much as I used to do to boat traffic. I seen some people beach their boats in inches of water running through Morris and Cummings Cut.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top