2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
www.bayoumetalcreations.c om
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been wanting to get my baits out further in the surf but i didnt want to kayak out, so i am building a remote control boat out of pvc to bring out the baits.i have ordered everything i am just waiting on the stuff to come in. has anyone ever tried this i think it would work well, i was goin to try to use a regular rc boat but i figured it could not handle the waves very well. the pvc will be heaver and hopefully will work . i will post pics as i build.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
I have

but only on a small pond and a electric stock boat. I would think that the radio range would be an issue but it sounds interesting. Please post up some pic's when you get everything, I am interested. Might ask Gary or someone on the RC Fourm about any possible issues. Good Luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Build it they will come

I built exactly what your talking about. Mine has an 12 volt trolling motor running it, bought it at a pawn shop. Its an older motor with a metal shaft. The boat is 42" long 22" wide 11" tall. Range is as far as you can see it. Will carry 2 baits at one time.

·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i cant wait to get started, i just got a e-mail saying that the motors and drives

that i wanted to use are no longer made (great) i will have to keep looking
i wanted to stay kinda small with the power supply but now i dont know

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
One of our parts guy's when I was in the oil field down south had a house on Lake Mathis, he was braggin' to us about a rc boat he bought for a bunch of money. He had the idea to set it up for trolling around the grass pads in front of his house. Everything went fine until he got a bite and the boat went under never to be seen again!!!
He never lived that one down.
Rick

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Boat

Better take a close look at rules & regulations, I seem to remember something about this type of presentaion being illegal, I could be wrong but bears looking into

·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dropping off bait

i am just goin to use it to get the bait out there not troll around with it .my plan is when i get it out there have a release mech and let the bait drop and the boat will return to shore

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I had thought about the same thing when I was surf fishing alot but wanted to use a kayak and enclose it with the 12v trolling motor sticking out the bottom and totally seal it off. Then just get some break away clips like you use on out riggers and use that to take the baits out. The weight of the battery and motor should hold it upright.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
If that weight does not hold it up right you could glass on a small keel like on a sail boat for extra stability. I dont surf fish much anymore so I did not look into it too much more. I mainly used jetskis before they got tight on them at PINS. Even used them a little after the regs started.

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
Gonzofish built a nice one two a couple of years back.. He has some good pics of it somewhere. One of the issues in the surf, if the waves are over 3 footers, you won't be able to see the boat in the trough to steer it correctly or straight out after passing a wave. You may have to stand on top of your truck to see it if the water is not smooth.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
After lurking here for almost a year I can't believe this is the first thing I wind up posting about. Anyway go to www.mecasub.com. I was looking into beach bait throwers and ran across it. The site is in Spain and the cost appears to be about the same as buying and outfitting a good yak. The unit is a line controlled and retreived motorized bait deployer. I think most searchs don't find it because of the language/translation. The site is translated into english mostly/sort of. Looking at it may give you some ideas. Don't pass up the antimations and video. Hope this helps.

Since I am here thanks to all on this and a couple of other boards for all the tips and info. I only got back into fishing about a year ago after decades away and would have been lost without all the info here.

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
I like the idea...but the waves, rf distance, ...
I was toying with Spud guns and launching the "bait" out in the distance. Came down to it we needed a rather stout shock cord so that when said terminal tackle with bait and spud would go from zero mph to dang thats fast, it would break at the leader. Also needed to use a spinner to allow for the fast release of line with out backlashing.
To make it work properly the weight was a limiting factor. i.e. a larger gun was needed.

How ever if youve ever seen pumkins being blasted out of an air cannon 1/2 to 3/4 mile away....think of the range for the beach and how much line youd have to have LOL.
DREAMS

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
It can be done.

But it wont be easy. Ive been into rc cars for 11 years, and done my share of surf fishing. And Ive drank many cool ones at the beach thinking about a rc boat built for that purpose. The problem will be the electonics. Youll need a radio, recevier and for a gas engine, two heavy duty servos and a onboard battery pack. All must be waterproof. And there is no such thing, so your design will dictate the importance of waterproofing Plus youll need a battery charger for the onboard receiver battery pack. That can run about $200. The boat itself will need to be as light as possible for serveral reasons. Mostly the power to weight ratio and run time. The boat must be self righting. Its gonna capsize in even medium size waves.

Some of the ideas posted here, I really agree with. I think outriggers and a keel is a must. Sounds like a fun project though.

Ive seen one built before, and I think its on the RC forum. Or was. Ill look.

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
If you use a trolling motor for the motor you could rig it to run off a 12v lawnmower battery/motorcycle battery. Then use a two channel controler. One servo for a switch, to either cut the motor on or off. Since you'll be in open water no need for reverse. For the turning just put a rudder in teh back, and motor just in front of the rudder. I'd make it as long and wide as possible. It's pretty much a barge. Or just make it long and put PVC pipe for sponsons. Less weight that way. No keel, the larger the keel, the deeper you have to drag the boat out...

No sides so water will run off. And pray the controls don't get wet and stick...bye bye boat. But I guess you're line will be hooked to it...haha Post the build pics.

·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
close

that is pretty close to what i am building, the center will be 3 inch pvc with 2 outriggers made out of 2 inch pvc, power will come from a 700bb graupner can motor
made for rc boats the speed controller is a waterproof astroflight with bec circuit so no need for reciever battery. radio system will be a futaba airplane radio(plenty of range) with one high torque servo for the rudder. the power source will come from a 10 cell gp3300mah battery. this system wont be fast
but it will get the job done.i have been in rc for about 15 years and i have done it all from cars to helis so hopefully this will go off with no hitches. i will build the pvc part of it this weekend and post pics so you can get an idea of what i am doin. all the electronics are on order except the radio i already have that so its a waiting game but it will be interesting.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
wickedinhere

wickedinhere said:
that is pretty close to what i am building, the center will be 3 inch pvc with 2 outriggers made out of 2 inch pvc, power will come from a 700bb graupner can motor
made for rc boats the speed controller is a waterproof astroflight with bec circuit so no need for reciever battery. radio system will be a futaba airplane radio(plenty of range) with one high torque servo for the rudder. the power source will come from a 10 cell gp3300mah battery. this system wont be fast
but it will get the job done.i have been in rc for about 15 years and i have done it all from cars to helis so hopefully this will go off with no hitches. i will build the pvc part of it this weekend and post pics so you can get an idea of what i am doin. all the electronics are on order except the radio i already have that so its a waiting game but it will be interesting.
I cant wait to see it. Sounds purdy sweet. :) There is one small issue with your radio of choice though. But I aint telling! :p

1 - 20 of 99 Posts