2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
That happened to me one time in my Superduty. That was a terrifying 5 or 6 seconds before I figured out what it was.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I saw on a story on this on Good Morning America indicating that floor mats may not be the problem after all. Apparently, there have been reports of a few run away Toyota's and Lexus's that did not even have floor mats. Investigators are now keying in on the onboard computers that controls the throttle response when the driver steps on the gas.

They suggested that if this happens, you should throw the car in neutral- which would have been my first instinct- I didn't need a news reporter to tell me this. They also advised against turning off the ignitiion because you would loose power brakes and steering. But if its life or death, I'd take my chances with turning off the ignition.

We have a Tundra and a Sequoia, so I have been paying attention.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Too many cases of the same incident to be ignored.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Happen to me the other day in my Tundra. Hit the gas to pass a car and let off the gas to move back over and it was steadily picking up speed. Scared the **** out of me for split second until I figured out what was causing it. Picked up the gas pedal with my foot and pulled over and removed the floor mat.

Mike

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Happen to me the other day in my Tundra. Hit the gas to pass a car and let off the gas to move back over and it was steadily picking up speed. Scared the **** out of me for split second until I figured out what was causing it. Picked up the gas pedal with my foot and pulled over and removed the floor mat.

Mike
Something sort of like that happens in my old Land Cruiser, except the floor matt gets under the accelerator and prevents the truck from going into passing gear..

a

·
Registered
299 Posts
I saw it on ABC news and Nightline: Story of a LEO driving his family on a Lexus. It kept picking up speed and he could not do anything to slow it down. He called 911 and knew what intersection he was approaching & frantically asked someone to clear the intersection for him to no avail. He finally hit another car and died in the crash along with his wife & 2 children.

Toyota execs had a news conference & mentioned that they were sorry for the accident, later blamed it on the floormat. Many other Toyota owners said floormat is only a part of the issue. ABC news said there might be a glitch on a small computer box for newer Toyota models and that Toyota had secretly issued a bulletin about it to Toyota service shops. There is a lawsuit going on right now if not a class-action lawsuit coming later.

I feel sorry for the cop but at least he should know to put his car in Neutral & could save his & his family's lives. That was a mistake calling 911 instead of concentrating on how to stop the car.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
It is part of your responsiblity as a driver to know what to do in emergency situations.... Not trying to be disrespectful, but who has time to call 911 when your car wont stop??... Flip that puppy in NEUTRAL!!! down shift and blow the motor, who cares!!! Just get the thing stopped! There wasnt anything wrong with the brakes ORRRRR emergency brake!!!

Whos to say a bottle of water wouldnt roll into the floor board and get stuck behind your brake pedal??? Or something else random get hung up in there.... then the blame gets passed again....

I have the Weathertechs in my Tundra and they have a clip that holds them in place, so no worries here....

I hate to see Toyota, or any other car manufacturer have to get a bad wrap for something like this.... It will just make it to where they wont put floormats in cars anymore.....

I hadnt heard of any computer problems, but computers or not, every driver should be aware of what to do if their vehicle becomes uncontrollable....

·
Registered
299 Posts
I forgot to mention that the news also said once the car accelerates it would keep going and going on higher speed. The driver has no control over it, not even braking. Putting the car in neutral would be the best way.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I forgot to mention that the news also said once the car accelerates it would keep going and going on higher speed. The driver has no control over it, not even braking. Putting the car in neutral would be the best way.
How would you not have control over braking? Its a totally different part of system in the vehicle...

and the emergency brake is 100% manual.... no computer chips or programs....

Sometimes I wonder about the news reporting itself..... I know there is a death to take into consideration, but just like the Firestone thing, I think this whole deal is getting inflamed by the media....

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
brakes will not stop a car moving that fast, they will rapidly overheat and fail.

There is nothing inherent to being a LEO that makes them car people to the extent that they would or should know that neutral is the way to go..

Most people who drive cars as much as LEOs and more have no idea what to do in that situation.

Not being Sh***Ty, just saying that those of us that are comfortable about what to do in that situation may take our experience and knowledge for granted..

a

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
It wasn't the driver in the Lexus crash who called 911, it was his Brother in Law in the back seat.

Post crash inspection of the vehicle showed the driver had been standing on the brakes for an extended period.

BTW at full throttle, there is no engine vacume and thus no vacume assist on the brakes.

Also, aside from the drive by wire throttle, the vehicle in question, a Lexus ES350 (Lexus version of the Camry), has shift by wire. Moving the shifter sends a signal to the ECU to shift the tranny into the selected gear. In addition, this particular vehicle has a push button start where you push a button to turn the engine on and off.

If the ECU glitches, guess what won't be working!

Check out this lady's story in a ES350:link

Sevierville woman's Lexus suddenly accelerates on I-40

"I looked down at my speedometer. It had gotten up to about 70 and I didn't have my foot on the accelerator," Rhonda Smith says.
Rhonda only recently got back in her Lexus. It has a total of 2,700 miles on it.

May 2, 2007
By DON DARE
6 On Your Side Reporter
SEVIERVILLE (WATE) -- A federal safety group is investigating why some new Lexus models suddenly accelerate. It happened to a Sevierville woman last fall as she merged onto I-40. And the reason behind the problem is simple and surprising.
The reports of sudden acceleration come from owners of the 2007 Lexus ES350 and from federal records.
Lexus vehicles are made by Toyota Motor North America. Consumer publications such as Consumer Reports list Lexus as one of the most reliable and safest vehicles on the roads. Those are some of the reasons why Rhonda Smith, of Sevierville, bought her car.
On October 12, 2006, Rhonda drove her Lexus onto 1-40 Westbound from the Sevierville on ramp and started to merge. "I had sped up to about 65 miles an hour."
Then Rhonda says something strange happened. The car began accelerating on its own. "I looked down at my speedometer. It had gotten up to about 70 and I didn't have my foot on the accelerator."
"At about 75, the cruise light came on by itself. So I thought, maybe that's why it started to speed up. So, I took my hand and disengaged the cruise," Rhonda says.
But she says the car kept on going faster. "And then I geared down into neutral and it did nothing. So I kept doing that. Then I just put it in reverse. "
Rhonda says she also applied the brakes. "Then, of course, I pushed the emergency brake on. I guess I said out loud, I can't believe this is happening."
Using the remote phone in her car, Rhonda called her husband, Eddie Smith "I've been married to her for 35 years. I've never heard the terror in her voice like I did that day," he says.
"I told him I was going 100 miles an hour down the interstate. I asked him if he knew anything else I could do to try to stop the car," Rhonda says.
Eddie says he told his wife to put the car in park. Rhonda says she couldn't do that.
"The good Lord just helped me out here cause I wasn't doing anything different and the speedometer started backing down just a little bit," Rhonda says.
She had gone about six miles when the car began slowing down and she finally stopped it. "It's just times like this that it all comes back to me." Bringing up those terrifying moments still makes Rhonda feel shaky.
Apparently there have been problems across the whole Toyota lineup in vehicles with drive by wire, at a greater rate than any other Manufacturer.

Check out these peoples stories, a couple from '06 no less :
http://autocoverup.com/2009/04/06/lexus-sudden-acceleration/#STS=g2bfu4i5.231q
Stupid part is, Lexus customers tend to be Doctors, Lawyers, etc, and in today's ultra competitive market Toyota can ill afford to lose its reputation for quality and reliability, especially with the Lexus brand with these people.

·
lay zay lay bon tom roo lay
467 Posts
some of the auto pages make it sound as if toyota has known about this...that it's more of a Drive by wire problem...

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/11/abc-news-questions-toyotas-floormat-recall.html

But Toyota owners have called the automaker's findings into question. Some think a glitch in the electronic computer system, which controls the throttle, is to blame. Several owners have come forward to swear that their runaway vehicles had no floormat issues whatsoever.

(did not see 8seconds reply)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me in 1999 with a 1983 280zx Turbo I had just purchased. I pulled out of a Chevron onto NW Military Highway (2 lanes both directions with a turn lane) which is a 40 or 45 mph road. The turbo kicked in and kept spooling up. Came up to a red light with cars stopped ahead of me going almost 80. Somehow I was able to keep a level head, put it in neutral (automatic tranny) and kill the engine. Coasted to a stop, started her back up and the engine was revving at red line again. Happened to look down at the gas pedal and saw the floor mat all jammed up against it. Went home and changed my drawers.

Seabass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts