2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nice used Mini-30 at a gun show last month. SS and it came with a Hogue stock and flash/Comp muzzle gizmo. One reason I bought it is that I had an unmounted Nikon Monarch 2 x 7 scope needing a home. Well, even though the trigger is creepy I get very good groups at 100 yds...I am impressed. Issue: the rifle works perfectly with Wal Mart Winchester brand ammo (7.62 x 39). Of course I wanted to be able to use the dirt cheap non-corrosive Wolf brand Russian ammo that is available everywhere. My rifle doesn't like it. Out of 5 rounds three will not fire....but if I re-use them (after a decent time to make sure no hang fire) they will fire. So I ordered and installed an aftermarket heavy hammer spring. I bought more ammo from another lot and still had the same problem. Again I tried the Winchester ammo and function was perfect. Finally I visually compared a single round each of the Wolf and Win ammo. Guess what? The cartridges are visually different in shape. The location of the shoulder and the angle of the shoulder are noticeably different. Anyone else had this experience?

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
The reason behind this is because the way the SKS's are set up, you must use the 7.62x39 with a recessed primer for safety, so that's why the comunist block ammo will not work in the ruger auto's and bolt 7.62x39. Also it is very dangerous to use the US made 7.62x39 in an SKS or Ak 47 do to slam fire. It won't happen all the time but when it does it'll change your religion on guns. The SKS have a longer than normal firing pin and it can stick causing a slam fire when loading.

·
Registered
826 Posts
BEER4BAIT said:
The SKS have a longer than normal firing pin and it can stick causing a slam fire when loading.
I thought if the pin sticks, it will slam fire no matter where the ammo is made?

·
Carlos
168 Posts
The SKS and AK-47 both thrive on steel cased Russian ammo but, as B4B said, Mini-30's and bolt guns usually do not. The Russian steel cased ammo is usually coated in laquer also for long term storage and this can gum up the non SKS and AK variants that shoot 7.62X39. By the way, you say the Russian ammo is available everywhere. Where is that right now? Lately it has been very hard to find Russian ammo in 7.62X39 due to the conflict in the MidEast. I have some on backorder and probably will not see it for another 90 days! If you have a ready source, tell me please!

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
69HEMI-R/T said:
By the way, you say the Russian ammo is available everywhere. Where is that right now? Lately it has been very hard to find Russian ammo in 7.62X39 due to the conflict in the MidEast. I have some on backorder and probably will not see it for another 90 days! If you have a ready source, tell me please!
Have you tried Cheaper Than Dirt?

·
Carlos
168 Posts
Cheaper Than Dirt claims to have some in stock and they may as they are $50.00 and up more than I can order it other places for 1,000 round cases and I would have to pay sales tax too! Shipping is no more for out of state purchase and no tax and a lot lower price although I do have to wait! I think I will wait to save over $120.00 for the 2K rounds on order! Got a Russian SKS and an AK-47 to feed !!

·
Carlos
168 Posts
Wolf ammo is very scarce right now. My order from Sportsmans Guide is expected in stock around the end of September. I am referring only to the 7.62X39 ammo as I have seen plenty of other caliber Wolf ammo on shelves. Academy had some of it's Monarch brand 7.62X39 in for a while but the word got out and it disappeared off the shelves in a day or two! It was supposedly just re-packaged Barnaul "Brown Bear" classic Russian ammo and was selling for about $2.38 a box of 20. Tried to get some as soon as I heard about it, but was already gone in all the stores I tried! Just have to keep looking!

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wolf ammo

At a gun show last weekend a couple of ammo dealers had Wolf 7.62 x 39 FMJ or HP @4.00/box of 20 and I think $160/thousand.

·
Carlos
168 Posts
gun show price

Not too bad, but still higher than I am paying and no sales tax for me as I am buying from out of state. I am paying $129.00 per thousand shipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.