2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever replaced a rub rail in its entirety ? My hull is getting close to 25 years old and the current rub rail is showing its age.

Is it a DIY thing for a guy with average mechanical skills or do I need to hire it out ?

Recommended brands and sources welcome ?

· archTech
8,898 Posts
If it's a 2 piece unit and that center is the issue, you can pull it out and insert a rope...if I do this I will also clean up the larger outer piece with abrasive cleaners to get it looking good again...

· Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,246 Posts
Yea pull out some of the center section and you will see. It is just riveted in. Drill out. Put new. Drill new and rivet or bolt in. It is not hard.

I actually used button bolts on the underside with the idea of making a fitted cover that would stay and fit tight. Just a thought. It was a lot of work and I never got around to doing the cover before I sold the boat.

· Registered
129 Posts
For the rub rail replacement on my 40 year old outrage, I had someone do it because I didn’t want to mess anything up. Something to also think about, is if it is a rubber rail and you’re replacing in the winter months, you’ll more than likely need to have a heat gun to help make it malleable and easier to put on. I currently have a TACO brand rubrail, but will be ordering from Integrity marine next time.

· Who said that was spicy?
2,125 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts