2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was looking at a report that the water could be pretty rough Monday out near Port O'Connor. How much does rough water affect the fishing when you're in deep water? Anybody?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Other than a tipsy boat it does not effect it at all. 4-6 foot, I hope you are not in anything under 30'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I might agree with Argo in general, here's my experience. If the water is rough and choppy, trolling surface lures has turned out to be mostly a waste of time. Bottom fishing is ok but it will sure wear you out. Don't go out in rough seas when you are tired because it will not be quality time at all. Don't plan to go too far either, say 20 miles or so max.

Just my 2 cents. We went out a few weeks ago in 4 to occasional 6's and did great bottom fishing. The boat does a great job jigging.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll let you guys know how it goes with the weather and the fish.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cancelled

Well after talking to the Captain, and him suggesting it might be a really rough day on the water. We cancelled our outing. Really disappointed, but better than being sick for 10hrs. He had taken 4 guys out on Saturday, and they returned after only 4hrs. Limited out on Snapper, but the guys got really sick and wanted to return. Said the swells were as high as 8ft, and he expected about the same for Monday. Oh well...gonna have to reschedule...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sace-

I saw your other post. I wondered if that was Terry that you were speaking of who went out Saturday. I saw him coming in about 2 pm. They looked really ragged on the boat. Then I heard they had caught a few snapper but were only out 4 hours. It matched your report . . .

We were out of the Jetties 2-3 miles for about 4 hours trolling and bottom fishing. Great looking water as far as color. But it was miserable. There were no boats coming or going offshore. There were several inside the Jetties though.

I doubt that you missed much on Monday. I know it says 4-6's But let me tell you that they are miserable 4-6'ers out there right now.
-------------Kyle

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry Haun

Yeah we were suppose to go out with Terry Haun, from Port O'Connor. He definately made points with us, giving us good advice and not just taking us out in the bad water. I'm sure he didn't want to put his boat through that either. But we're definately gonna work on a new date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts