2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recomendations on what articial lures I should use when fishing this weekend at Matagorda Bay - Brands, Colors, etc.

I am a rookie when it comes to articials and appreciate any recomendations on what is working for you.

I will be fishing in the day light hours on Sunday, thanks.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Pick up some 1/8 oz jig heads, Norton and Hoagie makes some good ones, with wide gap hooks. Then get some plastic worms, Assasins and Texas Trout/Red Killers are propular, in light and dark colors. The dark colors work better for me in stained water. Most important, throw them with confidence. You have to believe that a fish is looking at your lure on every cast. Don't give up. If you can find some hungry fish they will eat those lures.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
if you dont liek to over kill on your bait selection, take a Top Pup or Top Dog Jr. in bone and trout (white/chrome/green), a fw soft plastics such as Asassins in the fluke and paddle tail modles in solid white and plum colors. take a few 1/16 and 1/8 oz jig head (either a screw or regular type) and some 1/0 wide gap worm hooks (gamakatsu), red hooks might be an alternitive to the black color. also a few split shots will come in handy. a few spoons (weedless and regular) in gold and chrome will also be a good choice for dence mats of vegitaion, 1/4 and 1/2 oz sizes should do you up right. I would recommend 10-15 pound test line on a medium (at the biggest rod) for this.... I use a light power rod with 10# mono.... its a lot funner on a small rod....good luck...........JJ

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
welcome aboard

Like TooShallow said confidence is the key. In my wade box i carry red/white bull minnow, Pumkinseed/chartruce bull minnow, Tequilla lime sand ells, and the texas avacado assasin. 1/8th, and 1/16 oz wide gap jig heads. Good luck

Josh

·
Registered
726 Posts
For starters:

Gold and Silver spoons. Get a 1/8oz and 1/2oz of each.

Jigs- 1/8oz jig heads get a couple/three of different colors.
They come in plain lead, red, chartruse, white, black.
I prefer the Assassin brand with eyes in lead and red color.
Grab several bags of different color soft plastic tails. These come in a "shad" and "eel" shape. I prefer the shad shape but thats just me. Many different brands all of them are good.
Red body with white tail is a classic.
Purple with charturuse tail.
Glow with red tail.
Pumpkin Seed-this is sort of a clearish tan with glitter in it with a chartruse tail.

Plugs- The sky is the limit here. The mirrolure 52 is a classic. They come in about a million colors. Get a couple of bright colored ones and dark colored ones. The white with red head is a classic. The orange with black is a good choice also. Bone is a good choice.

Topwaters- again about a million choices. The bone is a good one. Chrome with black is good. Chrome with yellow is good. Remember to get a couple of bright colored and dark colored ones. Mirrolure and Skitterwalks are the main choices.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
lures

JettyJumper said:
if you dont liek to over kill on your bait selection, take a Top Pup or Top Dog Jr. in bone and trout (white/chrome/green), a fw soft plastics such as Asassins in the fluke and paddle tail modles in solid white and plum colors. take a few 1/16 and 1/8 oz jig head (either a screw or regular type) and some 1/0 wide gap worm hooks (gamakatsu), red hooks might be an alternitive to the black color. also a few split shots will come in handy. a few spoons (weedless and regular) in gold and chrome will also be a good choice for dence mats of vegitaion, 1/4 and 1/2 oz sizes should do you up right. I would recommend 10-15 pound test line on a medium (at the biggest rod) for this.... I use a light power rod with 10# mono.... its a lot funner on a small rod....good luck...........JJ
Although I too love topwaters, would not recommend them to a newbie. There are certain techniques that take time to learn. However, the soft plastics are a good choice(especially for trout). If reds are going to be present, would most definitely have a couple of gold spoons on hand. And, as the old adage goes, throw whatever with confidence. Without it you will catch nothing.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Purple chart, pumpkin chart, red and white, and moonglow chart. are the only colors you need. Add in a pearl skitter walk and a 1/4 ounce gold spoon and you have the selection that probably catches 90% of all fish in texas. Bass Assasin makes probably the best talt while Texas Trout killers come in second and are a little tougher. Like others have said confidence is 75% of the game

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
just curious on how you are gonna carry your tackle. are you wadin or 'yakin, or driftin? a pocket in your waders? towin a utility box? or in your watercraft?.....JJ

PS- great to ahve you abord on 2cool...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jj

Mike and I will be wading with a guide and I will be carrying the ole double donut to keep my catch that has a couple tackle boxes that reside on top.

I have never used artificial before; always live shrimp / croakers.

This is a new experience for me. Have not had much luck the few times i have been on the water.

I will let you know how I do,,,,,thanks!

G

·
JRaider said:
Mike and I will be wading with a guide and I will be carrying the ole double donut to keep my catch that has a couple tackle boxes that reside on top.

I have never used artificial before; always live shrimp / croakers.

This is a new experience for me. Have not had much luck the few times i have been on the water.

I will let you know how I do,,,,,thanks!
Probably too late now, but I would have asked the guide what lures are working best and what I should bring. - He may even supply you with the lures, a lot of guides around here do.

:rybka:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts