2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made several rookie mistakes on Sunday and was really glad we have twin outboard power, cause that got us back into port. Ran 40 miles offshore out of Freeport and was on spot and ready to fish at 9am. First mistake was to set out two drift fishing lines and not closely monitor them. Second mistake was to try to set the anchor while not paying attention to the drifted lines. Third mistake was not having a prop wrench on board . . . yep, in a heartbeat about 100 yards of 60# mono, got tightly wrapped around the prop shaft, way up under the back of the prop. We anchored up and I was able to get about 50 yards off, but the rest was still stuck in there with no way to get it out without removing the prop. While on anchor a nice cow Mahi hit the other drifted line so we decided to fish while thinking about our predicament. Caught a second cow Mahi and then decided to pull anchor and head back for the long ride home, dodging storms for the first half of the trip back. Trolled on the way in and caught a nice bull Mahi and one feisty little tunny, so the long ride wasn't a total bust. Will be buying the prop wrench today and will monitor future drifted lines a whole lot more closely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I cant count how many lines I have wrapped in the prop while my dad cursed me out. Many soaking wet days gasping for air in 4 ft seas while trying to unwrap. I have finally learned my lesson.

Great mahi! Glad you made it in safe.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Make sure you get ALL of that line out. That will burn up a propshaft seal in no time. I had a similar situation, and my mistake was to trust the same guy who got it stuck in there to get it out and say, "yup, I got it all out". 15 miles later after all the fluid drained out while running, BOOM.... lower unit gone. Saltwater is a horrible lubricant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Mr. Tuffy said:
Make sure you get ALL of that line out. That will burn up a propshaft seal in no time. I had a similar situation, and my mistake was to trust the same guy who got it stuck in there to get it out and say, "yup, I got it all out". 15 miles later after all the fluid drained out while running, BOOM.... lower unit gone. Saltwater is a horrible lubricant.
Mr. Tuffy - yep, I shut that engine down and did not restart it for that very reason. Heard about the propshaft seal situation here on 2cool a number of months ago and luckily remembered the advice when one of my kids said "just crank her up dad, that motor can break the line . . . ". Hopefully no damage was done in the 20 seconds or so it took me to realize and react to what happened. I also don't want to go through what Coastal just had happen, getting hit by the prop while trying to do a repair in rough water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

mahiseeker said:
Nice catch, & it's great to learn the hard way, eh? Turned out ok for you.
- Getting back without being caught in the storms - lucky

- Not having to be towed back in to port - saved mucho $$

- Catching Mahi while trying to solve the problem and on the slow ride home - priceless

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't forget a couple of extra prop nuts when you purchase that wrench either. Congrats on the nice fish and a safe return.
>E

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
rattler said:
Don't forget a couple of extra prop nuts when you purchase that wrench either. Congrats on the nice fish and a safe return.
>E
Cotter keys, thrust washers as necessary.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
At least you were able to bring some nice fish home. How fast were you able to run with one engine?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty Slow

Calmday said:
At least you were able to bring some nice fish home. How fast were you able to run with one engine?
Could only make 12-14mph at 3200-3500 rpm. Didn't want to put to much strain on one engine and the props that I'm using are 24 pitch so not a lot of torque at low rpms. Trolling at 10 mph seemed to be the right speed for the Mahi crowd that day;^)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts