2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new bay boat and have compared prices between the two dealers mentioned above. South Austin is more competitive on price. I will be fishing in Rockport, but live in Austin. The boat will most likely be stored in Rockport, but I don't mind pulling it back to Austin for any warranty work.

Please let me know if you have input between these two dealers. I've heard positive things about both and have used Ronnie's quite a bit in the past.

Please PM me if you are concerned about saying anything negative in a public forum such as this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had great service from South Austin Marine. I also live in Austin and fish around Rockport. South Austin Marine has promptly taken care of any issues I've had, and my boat has always come back spotless. What are you considering buying? They have a few nice Skeeters and Century boats in stock. I have my eye on the Carolina blue Century 2102. They also stock Blackjack which looks like a sweet ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Big Al at Ronnies has been good to me. I bought my Sea Hunt 220 from them. They were flexible enough on price to beat the MarineMax quote I had, and give me a better equipped boat. Lots of nice fishing boats there. Had a few Sea Hunt BX22 bay boats too.

I also know Kenneth Black at South Austin. He's also a good guy too, but they specialize more in Formula cruisers and Fountains being near lake travis. I almost bought a formula 31pc from him but the formula financing plan was really keeping prices artificially high (so they could offer 0% interest) and it made buying one difficult unless you are only concerned about payment size and not balance or resale.

Can't go wrong with either one, but it sure is nice having Ronnies nearby since we keep the Sea Hunt on Padre Island.

-Dave

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought a 27 Wellcraft from South Austin Marine. They always did well dealing with warranty issues and were always very prompt. They have also done service work and repairs on two other boats that I did not purchase from them with the same result.

Never dealt with Ronnies but I hear they do good work.

I would buy from South Austin Marine if they were a few hundred dollars cheaper. Besides, you can always clean, wax and do other maintenance when you pull the boat back to Austin for the service and warranty issues.

·
Red Path
51 Posts
Bought my boat from Mike Black, good dude. He also owns Coastal Yacht in Aransas Pass but no service department at the pass.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Another vote for Big Al at Ronnies in Corpus. Real relaxed salesman and about a year later saw him at a boat show and was the same relaxed dude. Ronnies, both locations seem to have a much larger selection of used boats than the other dealers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!

I just wanted to say thanks and add that I've dealt with a lot of boat salesman during this process. Big Al at Ronnie's Marine in Corpus is a heck of a knowledgeable sales person and truly a pleasure talking boats with. He really knows his stuff and seems honest and up front. It's obvious he has been on the coast selling boats a long time which adds a lot of value.

I may end up buying closer to home since I will be using it a lot there, but he was valuable to talk with. If you are looking to buy, I recommend giving him a call.

South Austin Marine was also a pleasure to work with.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Big Al, you earned it. It is alot harder in the sales business to be a good guy. Al, keep doing business this way and you will go home with a clear head. As for me, I do not have the patience to deal with the public. One bad apple spoils it for me.

Besides, my wife and I are real happy on our purchase two years later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts