2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a 92 kenner 18 and want to upgrade to a newer boat. I like the boat and momma likes the high sides so the kids don't roll overboard. It doesn't run skinny, but breaks 40mph. I want to maintain or improve speed and draft.

What other similar boats are out there that will fit a meager budget? Under 10k for a used boat.

Thanks,

·
Registered
321 Posts
For 10 G's you should be able to find something that will work if you look around a while. If you go for a non liner boat, (rolled gunnels) Try to find something that at least has a cap on the gunnel. It is nice when the boat is pitching around to be able to brace your legs/shins against. Good Luck

·
Registered
775 Posts
You might consider the Dargel Fisherman Series. It has rolled gunnels and plenty of freeboard. The tunnel version will improve your "skinny" factor, and still have WOT around 35 MPH.

You can usually find used ones for $10K. DJ

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff; that is definitely an option. I just hate the downtime involved. Can I hitch a ride with you ?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Ya no big deal hitchin a ride, but you really could plan out everything involved on this makeover in order to get it done faster.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Ya no big deal hitchin a ride, but you really could plan out everything involved on this makeover in order to get it done faster.
Ditto. I did a complete makeover on a 23' boat in about 3 weeks. Didn't do it myself, but had everyone lined up to go and just shuttled it from shop to shop.

Day 1 Measured for upholstry and canvas.
1 week at the glass shop.
3 days at mechanic for tuneup and electrical work
2 days at Safefloor
4 days of down time
1 day at the graphics shop
1 day to install canvas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts