2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rod that I have been fishing with for 10 years now and the ceramic broke off the tip of the eye. How do I go about getting the tip off with out making the rod shorter and where do you find replacement tips for smaller diameter rods?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Heat the tip with a lighter and it should come off easily. Be sure to use pliers to pull it off. Sometimes you can find tips at Academy or Walmart. If you are in Houston take it to Fishing Tackle Unlimited or find a rodbuilder in your area.
Pat

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
Some factory built rods use epoxy to secure the tiptops, some (few) use actual tiptop/ferrule glue. As mentioned above, tiptop glue can be softened readily by GENTLY heating the metal tube while trying to work the tip loose with needlenose. Another method that works well, (only on tiptop glue) is to hang the rod on a nail by the tiptop while heating the tube, all the while gently pulling the rod out of the tiptop tube. If it is indeed epoxy glue, your choices are limited. Take a Dremel tool or a small file and slice the tube lengthwise to open it up. Sometimes the epoxy bond can be broken by doing this. If not, cut it off clean, install a new tiptop.(FTU, Academy) and enjoy your new 1 inch shorter rod......

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am going to work on it this weekend. But I do have one more question. I have bought the kits from academy and when I glue the tip on and go fishing with it most of the time the rod glue brakes free and the eye free spins on the graphite. Is there any special technic I need to know on how to heat and put the glue on my rod to avoid this?

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got to work on the rod and when I heated the broken eye to get it off the rod the rod tip shot off like a bullet. No damage to the graphite though so it's all good. I glued the new tip and I am itching to try it out to see if it will hold up to the strong hook set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts