2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple years ago we came across some nice rods and reels cheap but they are older. i had ftu rebuild the reels and spoil them but the rods fore grip (foam) seems hard and does not have the desired feel. is there a way to replace a fore grip on a old fenwick. the model of the rods are fenwick woodstream s 545288 igfa-80 7'1"(216) cm 80lb class also says fenglass a little further up the rod. is this repairable or do i have to replace the rods? replacing the rods could be expensive!!! couple of pics attached. sorry my 11 month old wanted to play while i was taking pics. thanks for the help Hollis.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yes, it is do-able. However, the guides would all need to be removed as the foam slides down the blank before the guides go on. Basically, rebuild the rod. And hopefully they did not use too much glue to seal the foam to the blank, it's a bear to get off. I would recommend hypalon foregrip as it is softer and easier on the hands should you choose to replace the eva foam.

Another alternative it to cover the foam with something else, but unfortunately the foam would still be hard under that cover. Things like leather grip or sharkskin. But that won't change how hard they are, but might change the feel a bit.

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help!!! you would be the one to know!!! i dont know why i did not just send you a pm. sorry had a brain fart. pm sent for pricing to replace these rods. thanks hollis

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Its a chair rod. So, the softness of the foregrip does not matter. Its just there for handling around the boat and to rest your left hand while leveling the line. Its not for pulling on.

Its an old school rod, and there are tons of them around. New and perfect it may be worth $150.00 if you are lucky. With a Penn 80W, nice combos sell for $250 and on up.

Meaning, unless its a keepsake or heirloom, AND you have a chair, you may well be better served spending your money on a better rod rather than stripping and re-doing the rod for a softer foregrip (which you will likely never use for pulling on fish).

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS! got a bunch of stuff pretty cheap so i am happy with the deal.
2 80w's
2 fenwick rods for the 80's
2 50's
2 30's
1 20
1 penn senator 6.0
1 penn 309
1 very large hand gaff
all the tubes and wires for rigging live baits
a plastic tote about 2ft x 2 1/2ft x 18in deep full of hooks lures swivels and a whole lotta stuff i have not gone through yet.

the guy i got it from said he would teach me how to rig all the baits useing the tubes and wires. got all of it and dinner for $900. thought it was a decent deal but i could be wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts