2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of you keep spare parts to repair your rods with tips and guides. Others do not.

Every since I got down to surf fish in early 2001 and had my rod tip break on the second cast I usually carry an extra tip and glue but I went on line and bought assorted tips and guides in different sizes to fit the problem plus a roll of thread to wrap the replacement. Chances are Walmart or Academy will not carry the size tip and guides that you need. They are cheap.

I had a FTU rod break and decided to salvage all the guides and the tip off the rod. For those who need a quick repair here is an easy way to come up with parts from a broken or spare rod that you do not use IF the parts are about the same size as the broken rod.

Wear a mask for the dust.
For the guides:
Take a hobby tool with a grinder bit (or knife in a pinch)and cut thru the thread wrappings on the back of the guides quickly. You can take a small lighter or fire starter and heat the front and back of a two footed guide and the guide will almost pop out with a quick pull. when heated enough

Tip is a little different in the fact it slides over the tip of the rod. Be a little easy cutting the thread loose here not to damage the tip. Then heat the tip area and the tip should just pull off. If not then reheat and pull again. Basically most tips have a shot of glue then are pushed on the rod tip then wrapped and sealed.

The tips and guides should be about 90% clean of glue and epoxy. Flick the pieces and you are ready to go. All you need is a little glue and thread to rewrap the repair area. In a bind then dab of superglue on the tip will hold it while you fish.

Several of the online dealers have a tip guide so you can fig out what size tips you have on your rods. Fig you need a size or two larger depending on where the rod broke because a lot of the time the tip for that rod is too small to fit if more than just the tip broke off.

Pretty ??? Functional heck yes esp if you just take one rod fishing with you.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wrapping material

My old Netcraft catalog has rod building supplies in it including a tip sizing guide and a lot of different guides and tips in brands and sizes for sale.

They also carry nylon rod wrapping thread though I use one of the fly tying bobbins with the black nylon thread which is about the same to wrap any repairs. Even Academy carries the bobbins and bk thread.

Rigging at its best. :)

Never had one of my rig jobs fail yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts