2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep. Might be OK for an Explorer - maybe

I've got that exact product. Bought it for a full-size Bronco, and it didn't work - too narrow at full extension. One bar could mount OK between the coat racks, but the other had no place else to go but the side windows with suction cups. That was fine until the weather heated up - about two days. Then the whole rig fell down.
I've been considering putting it in the Bronco's replacement ('07 Tundra with SnugTop shell), but got a cheesy set of Berkeley rod holders preinstalled as part of an option package, so haven't rushed into it.
If you have front and rear coat-hangers to spare, and want the tubes mounted there, I'd say go for it. But anything much wider than an Explorer might be a problem. The tubes just needed to be another inch or two longer per set to work for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
rod racks

I have a set I got at Cut Rate on I-10 in Houston. They had them for most SUVs. mine are for the 00-06 suburban but i have seen the ones you are looking for. These were about $50.00 in 2001 when i got them. Call them to see if they have your yr. model. http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/
also, i re-engineered mine (turned them over) so the rods sit on top instead of hanging down. i had the clearance for it. holds much better that way. If you do go with these they are PVC and the rubber "loops" used to attach to the clothes hangers in the truck will fail after a while. i used two 75 lbs. tie wraps on each end of both the front and the back and have not had a problem since. i carry 2 TLD 15s on 7' allstars, 2 olders kingfish rigs with same rods, 3 to 4 7' bay rods with bait casting reels, and 2 fly rods. i have not had them fall since i rotated the racks to carry the rods on top and added the tie wraps. also, you may change the ends to PVC instead of the rubber ends that are there. they may "pull" out around the screw. it is easy to beef them up once you look at them. oh, on the front one you will want to have about 6 or 8 velcro straps (like you would use to manage computer wires with) to keep the tips from bouncing. also this keeps the rods from swaying too much over bumps. PM me if you want my number and i will discuss more. also, i have a few pics as well. sorry for the long reply, new to 2cool. will try to keep it shorter next time. I'm learning, despite the beer cushioned brain in my head.

Scott

Attachments

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
I bought a set from Bass Pro with velcro straps that I installed under the tonneau cover on my pick up, the work great except my p/u has a short bed so the 7 foot rods have to go in at an angle. $18.00

·
Big Fish Wish!
162 Posts
Rod Racks

I have those in my FJ Cruiser and have had them for approximately a year. I absolutely love them. Very well made and allows me to carry a bunch of rods safely out of the way. No complaints with it as of yet. Am in Friendswood if you want to see them up close.

Peeshnuck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just buy a vehicle clothes bar at Walmart, etc. and place in back of SUV near back window. Insert your rods from back window, above the bar. Note: the tips actually touch the top of headliner a bit which keeps everything in place. Been doing this for years with Tahoes and Yukons. Just carried 8 rigs that way for 400 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts