2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hawk, here are the pics of the rod racks. The first pic is of the pin on my metal rack, that slips into the hole for your seat. The second pic is of the PVC Rack. The PVC rack is a heck of a rack too, it has a couple of advantages over the metal rack. It sits lower and when you get a good take down all you have to do is grab the rod and sweep it back for a hook set, you dont have to worry about getting it out of a rod holder. The metal rack gives my clients a lot more room in the boat, but if you are not worried about room then the PVC may be the way you want to go. The center pipe you see goes down on your seat rod and holds the rack into place, you can also tie the sides off if you wish. With either rack all you have to do is crank them in, secure the hooks and put them back in the rod rack and take off to your next hole. Trust me, if i havent lost a rod, flying down the river at 70 MPH then it is not likely to happen. Hope this gives you a idea of something to work with. Later Warren

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS..you asked how tall my racks were. The metal rack is 24 Inches tall and the PVC one is 26 Inches tall. I just got a camp stool and sit down on it, and kinda figured out what would be comfy for grabbing the rods on the metal rack. On the PVC rack I think the extra 2 inches is needed to keep the rods at a good angle for a good take down. There are a lot of rod racks out there, you will just have to play around and see what works for you. Hope this helps..warren

·
Registered
728 Posts
Warren,
Thanks for taking the time to put pictures of your racks up for me to look at. I'm leaning toward metal, as I don't have as much faith in the PVC as I do steel. I have a hatch on the back deck that I'll have to fit the rack around, in addition to making it so I can secure it in the seat pedestal hole. I found a few other things I need to do to ready the boat, but rod holders is high on the list. I may use part of each design to make it work on my boat... I'm still a little nervous about leaving rods in the holders while moving the boat, but if you tell me it's worked for you, I'll have to believe it... those were some nice looking rods/reels in the pictures you posted before, and if you're not worried about losing THOSE, I won't worry too much about my old stuff...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a question about the pvc rack. Do the rod butt ends go into the "T"s at the base? If so, what keeps the upper part of the rod resting against the top from sliding around when you get a take-down? If I have them all balled up, please explain how the thing works for dumb old me, please?
I think my catboat is ready for some catfish slime, and I'm going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon for a while, if things go the way I want them to. There's a creek not too far from the boat ramp that has perch in it, and I think my boys would enjoy catching bait for dad....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the butts go in the Ts at the base...lay your rod on the top rail..drill you some holes..put 2 dowel pins about 1 1/2 apart on each side of the rod and it will not go left or right

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm gonna get some PVC pipe tomorrow and give this a shot... It's time for some rod holders on the boat, even if it never leaves the yard it will at least look like a fishin boat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts