2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I check each one every day. I wish more people would use the TRB website and rodrack. Both could be really great sites if peoiple would use them.
Pat

·
Registered
423 Posts
TRB Forum....

I have been posting on the Rod Rack and the TRB Forum...and to be honest, I feel like most of the time, I am talking to myself !!...:headknock:headknock

There are more lurkers, than posts...like for example :

4 replies and 25 views.....

2 replies and 50 views....

QUIT LURKING AND POST !!!!

MARYLOU ~~

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been posting on the Rod Rack and the TRB Forum...and to be honest, I feel like most of the time, I am talking to myself !!...:headknock:headknock
So Mary,
tell me more about these voices... ;)

I'd never heard of the Rod Rack, so I'll have a look.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The whole point of a rod building forum is to dispense help to those who need it. What good is a forum where people have to make artificial posts just to have some traffic? Running around making posts just for the sake of creating traffic is not really doing anything worthwhile for anybody. People will flock to those places where they get the help they need and the others that are not used are really not needed. Just MHO.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

There are more lurkers, than posts...like for example :

4 replies and 25 views.....

2 replies and 50 views....

QUIT LURKING AND POST !!!!

MARYLOU ~~
Mary Lou
I check it every day and you, Terry g., Raymond Adams and myself post on it more than anyone else.
Pat

·
Registered
892 Posts
The whole point of a rod building forum is to dispense help to those who need it. What good is a forum where people have to make artificial posts just to have some traffic? Running around making posts just for the sake of creating traffic is not really doing anything worthwhile for anybody. People will flock to those places where they get the help they need and the others that are not used are really not needed. Just MHO.
I agree with part of your statement Rob, (I assume your the same RJH on Bloody Decks?)

To post on any forum just for the sake of typing is of little or no benefit to anyone except maybe the ego of the typist.

That said, any "new" Forum needs to show some traffic and give a visitor a sense that they could learn something or gain some benefit by clicking around and checking it out as well as being confident that if they do register and ask a question, they wont be wasting there time or have to wait forever for a reply.

Some forums are quite specific in their purpose & content and as such traffic can be quite slow or even non-existent from time to time but to say they are not needed it a bit presumptuous.

I thought the TRB "active board" was only accessable by TRB members.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Ray
ibelive the rodrack is only acessable by members. I could be wrong. Maybe Terry will post up. He set up both websites. By the way good answer.
Pat

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Ray
This RJH guy has sort of ruffled my feathers. He has stated that my standards are not as good as his and he has challenged the validity of our website. I wish he would respond to the private messages that I have sent him. He does not know me, he has not seen my work in person, and he does not have any idea what the Texas Rod Builders are all about. He has not taken the opportunity to find out that the Texas Rod Builders hold rodbuilding classes several times a year or that we donate rods to wounded soldiers, police officers, or firemen. We do all of this free of charge. We do solicite donations but we will continue to provide all of our services whether we receive any donations or not.
I am sure Mr. RJH is a very nice person and is a wonderful rodbuilder. I hope that he is just misinformed or having a bad day. Hopefully he will acknowledge that there are other good people in the world besides him.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Pat

·
Registered
114 Posts
One of the guys on Bloodydecks addressed him as Mr. Kirkman...I think any website can be useful, even if it doesn't get a lot of traffic. Just useful to a smaller group until the word spreads. Thats how these things grow. For my 2 cents worth I like Bloodydecks rod board the most.. It seems to get a fairly diverse group of talented and beginner wrappers. And just like on here it's not hard to tell when someone is starting **** just in their own self interest...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I really like bloody decks; those west coast guys are very inovative and informative. I do like 2cool better but that is just me. I think any board that promotes rod building is important. I like rodbuilding .org and the rodguild. Our board may never reach the popularity of these boards that I have mentioned but there is still some good info to be had. I hope all of these boards have continued success.
Pat

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pat, i believe i am the one who should be a bit upset at that statement by our friend Mr. RJH as i am the one who posted the "first" message and whats funny is i REALLY WANTED TO KNOW so i would not double post if i needed a rather quick answer !

I also noticed he didnt even to bother answer the initial question, but thats ok i still respect other peoples opinion weather i like it or not. -

i dont get over on the"bloody decks" so i dont know what all goes on over there but i have seen enough blood in my life time so i'll just continue in my own way to try and learn this craft when and where i can and let this gentleman go on his way with what he or she believes .

and at this point we should drop this discussion .

·
Registered
103 Posts
How you fellows read that stuff into my post I will never know.

I know what some like is more of a chat room format, using a forum for daily communication between fishing and rod building buds. Thats fine. Others are strict about sticking to actual rod building topics and information. Thats fine too.

My point is that you can have too many forums for the number of available users out there. Rod building is only so large and the last thing I am going to do is run around to a dozen little used forums posting chit chat just so they can have some traffic. The usefulness of a forum is determined by the quality of information it offers and how many decide to use it. As I said, it is not my decision. Like everything else, the free market decides which ones thrive and which ones slumber.

I have never attacked anyone here or anywhere else. I have a different opinion and since I respect you fellows opinions I see no reason why you cannot respect mine.

Yes, someone tried to say that because I was from North Carolina that I must be Tom Kirkman. That same person that accused me and a couple others have an agenda that most on Bloody Decks know is quite clear. Photos of my mug are on several fishing and rod building forums. They do not look like Mr. Kirkman at all. But they cannot seem to explain that.

Pat, I was very careful not to come off as attacking you. I saw the photos of the rod you built that man and they are not up to my standards of work. Whats wrong with that? There were several others here that also said you needed to build him a new rod. Why are you not upset with them? I even sent you a PM explaining my comments and assuring you that I was not attempting to belittle you or your work. Then you PM'd me and you replied that I had "smashed the Texas Rod Builders." When? I never mentioned them and know next to nothing about them. I was talking about rod building forums in general, not any particular ones. I really do not understand where all this is coming from.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Mr. RJh
You said that our website was useless, you said that my standards are not as good as yours. You said that I did shoddy work. It is in your post. Go back and read your own words. If you cannot see where your words would upset someone then you are a very calloused person. I am not a sloppy rodbuilder. I have been building rods for years with no complaints in fact most of my customers are astonished at how good their rods look..I have built rods for celebrities. I have built rods for fishing guides. I have built rods for a President of the United States. Were all of these people lying to me. Did they throw my rods in the trash? Are you that much better than I am?
You did attack me. You did attack the Texas Rod Builders website. You did attack my integrity and you did belittle me. Read your own words. It is in black and white. There is no way you can deny it. I hope we can work this out and reach some sort of understanding. As of now I am angry with you. I am going to try very hard to get over it. I hope to welcome you as a friend in the future. Please allow me to have a little time to cool off before you post anything else.
Pat

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have NEVER mentioned the Texas Rod Builders here or anywhere else in ANY form or fashion. I have never alluded to them or their website in any fashion. You are fabricating something that has never happened and never been said by me. I have never mentioned the words "Texas Rod Builders" in any post or in any PM. You are fabricating those statements. I am the one that should be angry.

Here is my post on this subject:

"The whole point of a rod building forum is to dispense help to those who need it. What good is a forum where people have to make artificial posts just to have some traffic? Running around making posts just for the sake of creating traffic is not really doing anything worthwhile for anybody. People will flock to those places where they get the help they need and the others that are not used are really not needed. Just MHO."

Please point out where I "smashed" the Texas Rod Builders. I cannot find any mention of them or their forum in that post.

I have never attacked you or your work. I stated that our standards in terms of craftsmanship are different. That is not an attack. Again you are fabricating statements that were never made by me.

I have participated here for over a year. I have made about sixty posts here and if you do a search you will find that about every one of them has been an answer to someones questions. I did not come here to get help........I came here to offer help which I have done many times.

As was pointed out in this thread there are more rod building forums than there are rod builders to use them. I am sure I can find another forum to replace this one on my list.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The "Kirkman" insinuation is a joke and a not so funny one as it wasn't meant to be a joke. I know about that agenda and it puts a black eye on the rod building craft.

Fortunately, I see very little if any of that here on 2-Cool.

Pat,
While I did take RJH's comments about forums as being taken from, and maybe directed at the TRB Rod Rack forum, I understand his point. Our direct requests for other TRB members to "post up" could and does look a bit funny from the outside looking in.

I didn't take offence by his comment and I didn't see anything directed at or about the TRB. I'd come unglued and jump with both feet if saw anyone badmouthing the TRB in any way!

I respect his opinion of the work presented in the photos in yesterdays thread and in part I agree with some of whet he said. I don't blame you Pat for being upset because I too took part of what was typed as insinuating that your craftsmanship is not as it should be. (those pix were not very flatering either)
However, I gave him benefit of the doubt that his typed text wasn't meant as harsh as it sounded.

I don't know RJH and I'm not defending him personally. Just speaking my thoughts & observation

·
Registered
103 Posts
Raymond, You and I seem to be on the same page. Why Pat came after me and not you is beyond my guess.

My post about the rod building forums was short and sweet and in general. I never once mentioned the Texas Rod Builders or any other group or forum. Any yet words were put into my mouth and I was attacked. Why? There is not a single inflammatory sentence in that post. It was a statement of common sense.

I commented on the photos of Pat's rod. I would say that few objective people would say that specific rod was excellent. I went so far as to send Pat a PM and explain my comments in a friendly manner. His reply, four or them in short order, were to accuse, fabricate and attack me. (Edit - he sent two more in the last hour...same tone and accusations.)

I am the one that should be angry. But I am not. This is not a life or death matter and I do not take these things so seriously. But I can find another forum and already use others where this sort of thing does not take place. I am sorry to have bothered anyone here. I promise not to ever return. Life is too short and too wonderful for this kind of silliness.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts