2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 95% sure I'll be getting a Shimano Tiagra 50 WLRSA. I'm limited in range to about 50 miles in my boat, but I will be doing TX offshore tournaments, and going on tuna/offshore charters. I'd like to be able to catch any tuna in the GOM, and sharks up to about 10'. I may come across big marlin, but I won't be targeting them in particular. I figure the reel I mentioned here would be adequate, with maybe a few 100 yards of 80 lb. power pro, and topped off with some 80 mono. Opinions of the choice???

Also, now I'm kinda stuck on what rod to get for it. I hear roller guides are good, then I hear they aren't. Price isn't a factor, so to speak, but I'd like to keep it under $500. I was thinking bent butt, but it seems straight butt is the way to go, since I'll primarily be stand-up fishing. A few words on your experiences and opinions would be helpful in allowing me to make a decision. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You may want to consider an Avet HX. I have both the HX and Tiagra 50s. The HX is a much smaller package with plenty of drag. I have whiped many fish with both but the HX is a nice compact piece of equipment for the all around and standup fishing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to why I've chosen the Tiagra, I suppose I have always considered Shimano to make great products. Also, I like the 2-speed drag, the line capacity seems adequate, and I've heard nothing bad about them. Recently though, accounting for my 5% uncertainty, I've been considering the Avets. That's kinda why I posted this thread, to get some good opinions.

And for the Savage rod, I think that's in the forefront of my decision as of now.

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
That Tiagra is a perfect standup yellowfin tuna reel. If you are going to do nothing but tuna fish with it, you *could* go straight mono. However, since you're interested in using braid, I'd go with 100# braid with a 100yd topshot of 100# mono. The 100# will really let you lean on big fish. I'd go with Suffix or a similar top-end mono.

As for rod butts, I like a short straight butt, but you can get short bent butts for use in standup fishing. Then you can REALLY lean on a big fish. I have commercial fished yellowfins on rod and reel, and use Tiagra 50 wides with short straight butt rods.

·
Registered
239 Posts
50 WLRSA loaded with 750 yds of 130# Jerry Brown hollow core with loops spliced in both ends. 100 yds top shot of 60# Momoi Diamond mono with loops in both ends for connecting to braid and wind on leader. You can order this from BHP Tackle.

You don't really need the 130# strength, but it is cheaper than the lower line classes and the capacity is sufficient.

The hollow core with looped ends makes switching out mono top shots easy. The 60# Diamond line tests at close to 90#.

You will have a nice stand up package that you can fish like 80# gear and never worry about a knot or line breaking.

For the rod

Melton Tackle Kona KN 5080 WO-UB Stand-Up Trolling Rod AFTCO Wind-On Roller Guides Straight Butt 50-80 lb. 6' $489.99

Or, have Savage or some other custom builder you know build one for you.

Sam

·
Justified
668 Posts
We are switching to all avet 50 wides...and getting Chris from Serious Tackle to build some rods....He makes a really good rod for a great price!! Savage also makes a really really nice rod, you can't go wrong with either...For braid get the Momoi Diamond braid...its incredible and alot cheaper than JB

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm kinda looking forward to using my Shimano Torsa 30 on the Big E. Several anglers were using them and I was very impressed with the lever drag and torque on those bad boys. I used Bing and bought off Ebay, after deductions from my paypal acct. and 8% cash back it was a little over 390.00 shipped.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I'd be looking at a Tiagra 30WLRS or an Avet HX Raptor. I think my next set up is going to be a HX raptor on a custom wrapped Seeker 2x4 blank which should handle any GOM yellowfin.

·
Registered
589 Posts
IMO Tiagra 50 is overkill for what you're doing and you will be fighting with the reel,
try something smaller in the 30 or even smaller than that : 12

The reel AstroNut mentioned above is a good reel, it has landed lots of tuna, AJ,
groupers in and around the tuna grounds of GOM.

try: Shimano Tiagra 30, Torsa 30, Torsa 20

Some other good reels to consider(smaller, powerful, top notch gear and drag) :
Alutecnos Gorilla 12, Gorilla 12C; Torsa 16

I landed a 75lb yellow with a Torsa 16, Jigging Master 250g rod, Spiderwire 80lb(300yd)
braid in minutes .... it is now my go to combo

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
get something you can cast and a matching rod and 65-80 lb braid

50wlrsa is a trolling reel, only tuna fishing you will be doing w it is floating chunks and stripping line. way too heavy to jig with

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree the 50 is probably too big for most fish you will get into on a party boat like the Big E.
You should get the Tiagra 30 WLSRA. It is a 2 speed reel and has better cranking power for the bigger fish. When you get a stubborn YFT you can switch to low gear and reel that puppy in. I've seen my brother and one other guy get spooled using a Torsa 30. It just didn't have enough line capacity. Torsa 30 is ok for most inshore fish aj's, snappers, kings, cudas blackfins.etc
I never came close to getting spooled with Tiagra 30 with 150lb spectra. It will handle any YFT around here and any grouper you might get into. If you hook the YFT of your lifetime or accidently get a swordfish or marlin you would be happy you chose the Tiagra. I bought mine when I hooked a big grouper on a Penn 6/0 with the drag hammered down and couldn't reel the fish in. I needed more drag and that low gear in the Tiagra 2 speed would have done the trick. BWD

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
get something you can cast and a matching rod and 65-80 lb braid

50wlrsa is a trolling reel, only tuna fishing you will be doing w it is floating chunks and stripping line. way too heavy to jig with
You need to get introduced to the world of slow-trolling hard tails and fliers.

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
Tiagra 50W LRSA and Savage rod. Short bent butt. All roller guides.

600 yards of 80-100# braid of your choice. 300 or so yards of 80# Momoi.

Buy the reel. Call Don.

Brandon

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
50 WLRSA loaded with 750 yds of 130# Jerry Brown hollow core with loops spliced in both ends. 100 yds top shot of 60# Momoi Diamond mono with loops in both ends for connecting to braid and wind on leader. You can order this from BHP Tackle.

You don't really need the 130# strength, but it is cheaper than the lower line classes and the capacity is sufficient.

The hollow core with looped ends makes switching out mono top shots easy. The 60# Diamond line tests at close to 90#.

You will have a nice stand up package that you can fish like 80# gear and never worry about a knot or line breaking.
Sam is on the money here.....

The 100# JB is also a lot cheaper than the 80. I prefer 80# Momoi over 60, but it's all good. Slap on a 300# wind on and you are ready to tackle swords and marlin. Slip it off, and you are ready to live bait, or chunk for tuna.

Brandon

1 - 20 of 36 Posts