2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am looking at getting a new rod. What exactly is tip action? What is the best tip action and overall power (med, med lt, etc) for fishing arties?? I usually use topwaters with the occasional plastic with 1/8 oz head, sinking mirrolure, and spoon, reel is curado, line weight is generally 12lb sometimes 14lb.....kinda looking for the all around rod I guess. I am not looking for info on a brand, just info on what action and power y'all think is the best. Would like one that would do well in freshwater as well (arties again). Does one location carry the laguna's, waterloos, and kistler rods(in Angleton, so Houston area is best)? I am pretty much looking at the Laguna but I want to "feel" all to make sure. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think most of this is personal preference but saying that. My .02. I am no expert on this field. I do own a Laguna Medium classic. I think that is what its called. Great rod for topwaters but I feel its a bit stiff for jig heads. It works fine but it could use a little more action. I think if I strickly fished for Specs I would go with a medium light. But since I use this rod for just about everything from dead shrimp , live shrimp, arties..then It works out for me. It would be nice if you could demo a medium and a medium light. Maybe someone would let you borrow theirs..

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
This is my opinion. I personally throw a 1/8th to 5/8 med light 6,6" with a green curado (ABEC 5 bearing upgrade) using 12-15 lb mono and at the moment suffix braid 8-30. It covers everything pretty well from 1/8th to super spooks. Not sure what the tip action is ...it's not super whippy. Hence, I don't get super long casts with the 1/8th by itself. If I rig it under a mauler I get plenty of distance.

For what I use it for... throwing corkies, suspenders, small tops, all the way to super spooks...it is AWESOME. I used to fish fresh water tons...and I think it would be a good fit for that as long as you are not pitchin' heavy timber or jiggin' in hydrilla. That requires a heavy action rod. Otherwise, this would be a great worm, crank bait, spinner bait, suspending twichbait, topwater rod for fresh as well as salt.

If you are looking for better distance and feel you might fish with the light stuff
and weightless worms you might go down to a 1/16th to 3/8ths...you ccould still throw a big Skitter walk with that action as well. Personally, I use a spin cast for the lighter stuff and can throw it almost as far as my casting rig / tops.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
For topwaters and Corkys I like and use a 6'6" medium power fast action Kistler Helium II.
My favorite old rod is a 6'5" Med.Lt. med. fast action Helium. It's a great all around rod but gets tiring throwing big topwaters.
Some medium power rods are just too stiff and don't load the way I like. It really boils down to what you like and feels "right" in your hand.

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so faster action on the tip is more responsive and allows you to work arties better???? In that case why would you want a med action on the tip??

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used to use a medium light for most applications. Tops, tails, spoons, cranks. But, I have switched to a magnum medium. It has more backbone to control an angry red, and a light enough tip to do whatever I want. Don't know why, just got used to it, and like to be able to control fish better.

The magnum medium is a bass blank and is somewhere in between a medium and a medium heavy.

·
Healthy spine= tight lines
241 Posts
the bend in your tip doesnt really matter on if you have a medium or heavy or light rod, it depends on the action your rod tip (how far the rod bends when under pressure) i prefer fast, the action of your tip is specified on the rod info. but medium light is pretty common you should get one especially if you will throw top waters and plastics if this was a strict plastics rod id say go with light action.

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
I fish with plastics, Corkies andn tops... I have tried many rods out there and prefer Med light for all around fishability. I currently use the Laguna Texas Wader and it handles all the above like a dream. They are spendy, but well worth the money.

My buddy swears by the Stick 'em rods

But, any of the med light cataways, allstars andn american rods work well

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have several Falcon Costal XG Medium. I would like a little extra action in the tip it seems like I can get a more predictiable cast like that. The Med-lights are hard to find though...probably for a reason.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
trout rods

Most trout rods are med lt.
Med is kinda heavy comparatively, in weight and action.

Get a med lt. IHMO

No brand names mentioned because it's friday and I don't eat spam on fridays.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Explanation of Action, Power

There are several general properties associated with rods. Many folks confuse them, so let me explain.

The first property is ACTION. The action of the rod are rated Extra Fast, Fast, Medium/Regular, and Slow. Action is somewhat related to taper of the rod, but more accurately is a description of how the rod bends or flexes. The more of the rod bends, the slower the action.

For example, a Ex.Fast action primarily only bends/flex at the very tip. While a Slow rod bends down most of the blank to the handle.

When I say "bend" or "flex", I mean when the rod is "loaded". Ok, you say - what is "loaded"? Loading a rod means the bend in the rod that occurs during a normal cast. It is NOT while fighting a fish - although the two are naturally related.

The second property of a rod is POWER. The power of the rod the amount of force needed to properly LOAD the road. It has nothing to do with the "whippiness" of the rod or how much pressure you can put on a fish - but again - there are some correllations.

The "whippy" properties of the rod are generally associated with the material the rod is made out of. The "stiffness" and "rebound" characterics of the material are referred to as "modulus" (I know, I know - that is simple explanation, but it works here). Higher "modulus" fibers snap back to there original position/shape will less "rebound" or waver - think of a good, new shock on your car (high modulus) vs. a worn-out bouncy shock (low modulus).

Now with these terms, let me describe the some typical rods and what to look for in them.

If you throw light lures or freelined baits - you will want a rod with a lighter power rating - regardless of the size fish you are after. The reason is that you want the rod to fully "load" when the backcast is made so that the flexing of the rod in the forward motion gives the most power to your lure or bait. However, if you are throwing lures - you'll probably want a FASTER action that will give more "snap" to the cast. When throwing natural bait, a SLOWER action is preferred because it is less stress and impact to the little live critters. If the bait is very fragile, you'll want a LOWER modulus rod, or even a fiberglass instead of graphite - this will give even less stress on the live bait. In a nutshell, the power rating on the rod, usually given as weight in ounces, should match the bait or lure you typically throw.

For most lure fishing, extra fast actions are preferred, since a quick, snappy cast is what is needed. However, as lures get heavier, this presents more problems to the angler. It's hard to make a "quick snap" with a 1 to 4 oz. lure. So when using heavier plugs, some folks prefer to use just a fast rather than extra fast. If you are throwing really heavy lures, you'll find a slower action gives you more control and less aches and pains at the end of the day.

Also, slower action rods are commonly used when fish need to be played gingerly without hard hooksets. For example, I really prefer a SLOW/MEDIUM action rod, LIGHT power, VERY HIGH modulus rod - such as the Loomis 8400C. The reason is that I throw light lures, but I want the extra cushion when fighting big trout - I like to lean back on the rod and I don't want to pull hooks or miss topwater strikes - something that is very common with ex.fast action rods.

Conversely, when I am tarpon fishing - I want a ex. Fast rod with a heavy action to get a hard hookset. I also like a fast action rod when working lures in heavier grass, as the less bending of the rod allows me to "pop" lures free of the grass easier.

One last thing - most folks use way too much rod for their targeted species - A holdover from bass fishing I think. A light 1/8oz-1/4oz, 6-12lb test rated rod will land a hellava big fish pretty quickly. Anyone whose fly-fished in saltwater much knows this.

It's interesting to note, with all the macho dudes out there using heavy tackle that it takes amazingly little pressure to tire out fish - even marlin. For example, drags on a 50-wide, using 80# test, are typically put around 32# of drag....that doesn't seem like a lot - but it's amazingly so for a fish. If you actually tested how much pressure (with a accurate weight guage) you are putting on your trout or redfish at distance of 30 yards (about 100'), you might be surprised to find and as much as you are pulling - it's probably only 2 or 3 pounds of pressure - whether you are using 6lb test or 20lb test - unless you are cranking your drag down. And you wouldn't want to - as 3# of pressure will pull the hooks on most trout, unless they are hooked real, real solid.

I know from experience that most of the big he-man dudes offshore, can't really put more than 15-20# of pressure on a fish for more than a few minutes - unless they are using their body in a harness. Don't believe it? - get 10# of weight, and ask them to hold it away from their body - and see how long they can do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dwhite - For several years, I have been using 7 ft. Falcon rods. I use Carado reels spooled with 30/8 lb Power Pro and 20 lb flouracarbon shock leader. I throw everything from plastics on 1/16 jigheads to Top Dogs and have been extremely satisfied with the results.The action is FC 4. I've tried the FC 3 but found it was a bit too whippy which resulted in missed fish on more than one occasion.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Outstanding explanation John, as always! Greenie!

·
Team FishBonz
517 Posts
John will a really light lure load a ex fast, light rod down? I prefer all rods to be med (for live bait) to fast (for artificial) but dont care for ex fast blanks as they feel like a flippin stick no matter what the power. Great post btw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts