2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Rockport/Fulton with boat in tow. Never have done any good there in January but couldn't pass up the invite. Where the heck are the fish in Aransas bay this time of year? Would love to put grandkids on some table fare. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
600 Posts
papajoe they're in the water! Seriously if you're going down now this afternoon would be good fishing (pre-frontal conditions). Drift the grass flats in redfish bay casting into the light color potholes. The south wind should be up this afternoon putting ripples on the water so popping cork with live shrimp (if you can find it) or live mullet will catch some fish.

I would under no circumstances consider fishing tomorrow. Winds are forecast to be gusting 35-40! Really dangerous conditions.

Sunday conditions/fishing will be different than this afternoon. Water will be lower, probably a little colder and fish should be in deeper cuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had lots of Reds (and a couple Trout) out of Estes Flats not long ago. 3 upper slot Reds, and plenty of rats. We were free-lining live Croaker. I tried some arties, but I don't have my "groove" down on plastics yet. Only been fishing the salt for less than a year, so I've still got a lot to learn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you launch in Lamar or at Goose Island, fish the Intercoastal just north of Aransas Bay. This had been my go to winter spot when I used to have a house there. Like Jerry713 said, don't go in a boat in 30+ mph wind, especially if there are kids. But, when wind is more normal, the ICW generally offers some protection from the wind for you to make the fishing more comfortable (comfortable once you get there, still have to go thru some rougher water to get there). It also offers deeper water where the fish can hold when the water is cold. As the water warms thru the day, they come out of the depth and can be found along the rip-rap wall on the west edge of the channel. Stay in the channel. Focus on points where the rip rap ends... there are numerous over the span of the first 5 - 6 miles north of Aransas. Also, remember that if a barge comes by, it'll create a crazy current coming off the flats and will swing your boat on it's anchor... so watch for this and stay off the rocks. A full barge pushes/pulls much more water than an empty one too.

Good Luck, and keep everyone safe !

·
Registered
632 Posts
the reds last two days were holding about 10-20 yards off the shorelines and laying on the bottom .. but if you find one you found 30.. they liked the dirty water more than the clean

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you launch in Lamar or at Goose Island, fish the Intercoastal just north of Aransas Bay. This had been my go to winter spot when I used to have a house there. Like Jerry713 said, don't go in a boat in 30+ mph wind, especially if there are kids. But, when wind is more normal, the ICW generally offers some protection from the wind for you to make the fishing more comfortable (comfortable once you get there, still have to go thru some rougher water to get there). It also offers deeper water where the fish can hold when the water is cold. As the water warms thru the day, they come out of the depth and can be found along the rip-rap wall on the west edge of the channel. Stay in the channel. Focus on points where the rip rap ends... there are numerous over the span of the first 5 - 6 miles north of Aransas. Also, remember that if a barge comes by, it'll create a crazy current coming off the flats and will swing your boat on it's anchor... so watch for this and stay off the rocks. A full barge pushes/pulls much more water than an empty one too.

Good Luck, and keep everyone safe !
I know OP has probably already been and gone, but FWIW, this is how we ended up in Estes Cove those couple days. The bay got pretty rough, and we didn't want to fight to fish any of the reefs (we've had good luck at Pier Reef which is right over by Goose Island SP). So I had been "stalking" the maps and figured based on wind direction, that area would be relatively well protected. Turns out it was perfect. That whole area along the channel between The Cove at the North End and the Causeway (Redfish Bay) is full of areas that are relatively protected from wind. There are several "channels" and guts back in there that I assume will hold fish if the water cools down, and LOTS of shallower flats to explore for when they come out of the deep later in the day as things warm up a bit.

I can't wait to get back out there and poke around a bit and try another bob's suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts