2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the last two days in RP with 21 yo son looking for a few trout...although we had limited success (lots of dinks) we had a great time on and off the water. Until yesterday afternoon at 1 pm on the inside of Mud Island. We had just left the bight, went thru Blind Pass when we saw a lone wader working the drop off. No boat, kayak, airboat or sea plane in sight. Thinking he may be in need of some assitance we shut down about 80-100 yards away and yelled to him "you ok"? Well, we got his middle finger as a sign that he was fine. My son gave me the "I know you want to kill him look" but we waved; and idled off to go find fish. Not 10 minutes later here comes the late model Shallowsport from the island at full throttle. They (2 of 'em) shut down, pick up bozo and proceeded to come at us full speed. The nippleheads come within 20 yards of our Maverick staring us down the entire time....what the hell, over.

So, if any of the three yahoos on the water yesterday are reading this...consider yourselves lucky my son and I were fishing together and enjoying our day. My other fishing partners would have put a treble hook in your ear.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Yeah, that stinks. The fact is if somebody wants help from me, they're going to have to get my attention first.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
That is happening more and more around here now. Its a shame too. I can remember days spent with my dad out in our boat. If you saw 3 other fisherman other than crabbers or commercial guys, it was a busy day.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I hate to take sides, but if the guy was fishing you should assume he was OK. If he needed help Im sure he would have waived you down. I might have gotten a little mad too, but I sure wouldnt buzz you like that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
salty_waders said:
I hate to take sides, but if the guy was fishing you should assume he was OK. If he needed help Im sure he would have waived you down. I might have gotten a little mad too, but I sure wouldnt buzz you like that.
I think this is an excellent summary of my take on it. I tend to keep to my own knittin' out there unless someone is waiving me down. Still, what they did was very wrong.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
couldn't have been any worse then me poleing 150-200 yards from a boat to get to the back side of an island...guy got all PO'd with me. They were just sitting under the bimini for 30 minutes the second I started poleing (as a courtsey rather then fire up the motor and running by) I poled 400 yards to the island so we could fish the back side and not interfear with anyone! Estes Bay is getting bad. People think that if you're a 1/2 mile from them your gunna spook all the fish in the bay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
salty_waders said:
I hope you don't own a boat.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
i really hate to say it but thats what people like u and i get for trying to be kind and help out--its a shame he did not realise u had only good intentions--if there were other people like u and i who only have good intentions and are concerned about our other fisherman out there then there would not be as+ho-++ ou there like this--if my brother in law would have been ou there he is not as kind hearted as u and i-- he would have walked on water and parted his sea--god bless u for careing about him and to hell with the other guy--dont ever give up on caring thats what makes u a better man----

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Look people have a right to pass you. that is fishing. If you park in a channel expect people to come into the channel. if you are wadeing expect people are going to drive past you. if another boater is passing you on a trolling motor or is poleing past your fishing hole you shouldn't flip him off. you should offer him a cold drink because he is doing all he can not to break your school and be on his way. The best thing to do is give him or her a little direction on where you would best like them to pass. (break wide or down the middle) unless you are at the very last stop in a complex expect to be passed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
it has gotten so crowded that is almost impossible to get to your own favorite spot without going by at least a boat or two. like you said, idle or pole by. remember that the guy easing by may go to that exact spot every time he goes out. some of the guides are starting to think that they own all the water any where near them. if you ease up there are enough fish for everyone if you don't spook the fish. these guides that want to leave by buzzing the area need to remember that it is easy to remember them when they have a big name on the boat.

·
Surf-fishin Grandpa
428 Posts
Good intentions aren't always realized but what goes around inevitably always comes around. Where does it say the good Samaritan was wrong in helping? However we should realize that people have substantially changed. Thanks for trying to help and being concerned. Helps to know there are still a few concerned anglers out there.
Have a super 4th!

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,646 Posts
I am one that stops and helps people. The way that I approach it is this...if I see someone that is in obvious trouble, like a guy with his cowling off the motor out in the bay, I will offer help, Otherwise, if I suspect something, I will slow down at 2-300 yards away and if they wave me in, I will come offer help.

I have to agree with the salty_waders in this case. If that guy was fishing and he saw you and he didn't wave or anything, you should leave him be. He is not in need of any aid and is just in need of some peace. I have been dropped off for hours at a time by guides and have been fine catching fish with no boat for miles.

I am not trying to discourage you from offering help, just make sure someone needs it for some reason before you go in there. If they do, they will be trying their hardest to flag you down. Seeing a lone wader fishing should be no cause for concern.

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,317 Posts
Good intensions...

That guy was a moron. If you stopped 80-100yrds away then you didn't effect his fishing in any way, shape, or form. Cudos to you for being concerned and here's to hoping that those losers run a ground in low tide with no way out until morning.

The Aransas Bay complex has gotten ridiculous. The last couple of times there we were cut off by so many boaters it was comical. We would still catch fish in their boat wash and continue our drift.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
yes!

very well said.

Aggieangler said:
I am one that stops and helps people. The way that I approach it is this...if I see someone that is in obvious trouble, like a guy with his cowling off the motor out in the bay, I will offer help, Otherwise, if I suspect something, I will slow down at 2-300 yards away and if they wave me in, I will come offer help.

I have to agree with the salty_waders in this case. If that guy was fishing and he saw you and he didn't wave or anything, you should leave him be. He is not in need of any aid and is just in need of some peace. I have been dropped off for hours at a time by guides and have been fine catching fish with no boat for miles.

I am not trying to discourage you from offering help, just make sure someone needs it for some reason before you go in there. If they do, they will be trying their hardest to flag you down. Seeing a lone wader fishing should be no cause for concern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts