2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not to much to report, just wanted to share a great photo. On Sunday, my Dad and I decided to take a last minute Father's Day outing to our favorite evening fishing hole. There was not too much effort involved; we didn't leave the house until 5:30 and planned to soak some mullet, have a few cold ones and enjoy the sunset. We were rewarded with 4 trout and a flounder, and one of the trout went 26.5". Not a trophy by any standards, but my biggest of the year, and got a great photo to boot. I normally release anything over about 23", but she inhaled the mullet and didn't make it(she tasted pretty good though!)

This evening I went back solo to make a quick wade and see if there were any more big girls in the area. Fished from 6:00 until sunset and managed only 3 trout, with the biggest being 24.5" and the smallest 20". All were very solid, heavy fish. We usually have more luck with reds and good numbers of small trout at this spot, but these past two trips the quantity of the trout has been down but the quality up. I will take that any day! I released all of my fish today, to try and make up for killing the big girl on Sunday. I also accidently released 2 flounder while trying to grab and string them. All fish this afternoon were caught on pumpkinseed/chartruse bass assassins or a baby trout skitterwalk. No pics today as I was solo.

Attachments

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,437 Posts
Good report and nice fish. Headed to Rockport the end of July, can't wait.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,647 Posts
Nice one! Sounds like a great trip with Dad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I consider any trout pushing over 26" a trophy. Congrats on capturing a great speck and sunset all in the same day!!

·
Banned
181 Posts
Im glad to hear theres some big troat being pulled out...Great Picture...Im headin down that way tomorow for a full weekend of fishing so hopefully ill be doin the same thing!

·
Rather be fishing
110 Posts
Good report! I am going to the rockport area this weekend on a fishing trip.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Beautiful picture! Gotta frame that.

Good job with that fatty as well.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Fresh2Salt said:
A lot of the fish lately seem to have some weight to them. Quality is a definite plus with the lack of quantity.

James
I'll take quality over quanity any day. The trout are in real good shape. The best I've seen in a while. Nice report.
Tight Knot

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the nice comments everyone, the pic will definitely be going in a frame. It was a memorable father's day outing for sure. As far as the quality of the fish, I have been pleasantly suprised. Up until about two weeks ago we had been doing really well on lots of smaller fish, and now in the same spots it is shorter strings of bigger fish. I will take it any day! For those of you heading down to the area, the quality fish we have found have been up really shallow early and late in the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts