2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fishing Rockport this weekend and was wondering if anyone would give me some suggestions of where to fish. I haven't fished the Rockport area much in the past 5 years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
From ComeFrom?'s Rockport Chamber of Commerce

;)

FROM EARLIER POST:

Tin-Can Reef: Located on the South end of Copano Bay Causeway. It is on the opposite side of the road from the entrance to the South end of the fishing pier. Exit off of the road onto white shell and drive as far as possible without driving into the water. Walk past the fenceline (easy to see - the only fenceline there) and walk past it for about 100 yards. Then proceed as if you were walking straight into the middle of the bay until a little over waist deep. Start casting.

Goose Island: Pay your 2 bucks and drive to the fishing pier parking area. Walk onto and completely across the pier until you reach the steps ON THE RIGHT SIDE of the pier. The steps will take you onto an above water shell reef. Walk to and out in the water about 30 feet or so. None of it is over your head unless your a shorty. When you reach the point where the arch of the the fishing pier (I say arch for the lack of a better term - sort of a rainbow arch) is directly over our right shoulder, start casting directly in front of you. Move about freely left or right. I have started catching trout merely by moving 15 feet away from or toward the pier. There's likely to be others there too. Early in the a.m. until 9:30 or 10:00 and the again in the p.m. from 6:00 to dusk. If the tides are moving in the heat of the day, they don't seem to want to cooperate. Don't cast too far or you'll hook the outhouses in the parking lot. LOL!

At that point there is a small channel that runs from right to left (and vice versa). When there is an outgoing current you'll have the best luck. Out going tide will be water moving FROM the pier and not towards it from where you'll be standing. Good trout and flounder. Lots of oyster shell so keep it just off the bottom. Good Luck. CF?

·
Bering Sea Veteran
842 Posts
Thunder try these spots

I was just in Rockport the last two weekends. We had pretty good luck fishing shrimp under a popping cork in Estes Flats near California Hole. With the wind like it has been it was the only calm water we could find. The bait is of poor quality. We used the cast net to get mud minnows and mullet which worked well for the reds. They were all upwards of 25". A few oversized but not huge.

Black drum have been good in Yucca cut on live or dead shrimp if there is a stong incoming tide. Don't bother if the tide's not right.

Long reef did not produce anything on artificial or live croaker.

We did fish St. Jose and Mudd Islands, but the trout are not very cooperative. Water is still too fresh from all the recent rains.

The outside beaches of Traylor were rough and the water was off color. Rat reds and a few undersized trout were all we caught.

If the wind is calm toss some croaker in the pot holes outside Traylor.
If not get some mullet or shrimp and fish Estes Flats.

I know every one says fish Estes and usually they are full of bull, but right now it actually is paying off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
All the above posts are right on but with all the fresh water the Rockport area has been slow, The oil rigs off Dagger and in Corpus Bay toward shamrock have been producing limits of trout for the guides using croaker off the wells in 9 to 10 ft of water. I limited out a couple of weeks ago using red/white gamblers. Also if you go to the jettys by boat early in the morning if the wind is down a little it should be good for trout and red. Kingfish being caught off the end of the jettys.
SHARP HOOKS !!! Lobo Jim Aransas Pass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts