2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In over 30 years of duck hunting in SE Texas rice fields and inland marshes I had never had the opportunity to take a redhead until this morning. We hunted with Captain Rick Hammond of Clear Water Guide Service and had a great hunt. I was really impressed with him calling me yesterday and giving me the opportunity to rebook due to low bird numbers during the week. I sure am glad we did not reschedule because we had pintails and redheads working us all morning until a dropping tide forced us to make a run for the boat dock. I was really impressed with Rick, especially when 5 minutes after shooting time an idiot in an air boat ran THROUGH his decoy spread. He just shook his head and apologized for the guy, if our rolls would have been reversed there is no way I would have handled it so calmly. Anyway, if you have never hunted divers I would strongly encourage giving it a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
What kind of divers are those in your left hands. Rockport can be a great place for a change of pace from those darn greenheads and woodies.:spineyes:

Pics are great, glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How long have you been hunting? Only reason I is cause no one in that picture looks to be over 30.:spineyes:

Nice haul.

·
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!
2,697 Posts
What kind of divers are those in your left hands. Rockport can be a great place for a change of pace from those darn greenheads and woodies.:spineyes:

Pics are great, glad you had a good time.
those would be redheads...they are similar to canvasbacks but a couple of distinct markings set them apart

·
It doesnt cost anything to set the hook
413 Posts
Airboat guy

We were fishing that morning over around Jaybird and saw that same airboat guy...he came flying out of a cut and nearly ran through our lines! I almost threw an oyster at him in disgust

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe yall were in his blind.
I would assume not since the guide said he has had a blind there since he was 15. I dont hunt there but I would think it is frowned on to be running an airboat along a shore line with 15+ blinds five minutes after legal shooting time.

·
Registered
944 Posts
To answer some questions....

The picture was of Oceanus 2 sons, with him taking the pics from the blind.

I always hunt the grass, and never in an open water box blind (battleship blinds). This was my blind that I set up in the flooded grass.

I saw the same guy in the airboat while hunting today, and he came by to apologize for running over my dekes on Saturday (said he didn't see us until it was too late). He was a really nice guy, and no hard feelings here....

Capt. Rick Hammond

The duck hunting along the middle coast is starting to get much better in the last 2 weeks. For a complete hunting, fishing, and lodging package give Bay Flats Lodge a look at www.bayflatslodge.com

·
Banned
2,983 Posts
yeah, good to know there are still good people out there. everyone is human and makes mistakes. It takes a big man to appologize too. oh and congrats on the good hunt, some people get tired of just killing two redheads and a pintail but I'd rather go out and kill those three than not go or go and not shoot a thing. I am lucky enough to get to hunt greenheads in the timber up in Arkansas at school and I still look forward to shooting divers and pintails during school breaks. I hope it never gets old for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts