2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiffany (my 17 year old daughter) and I hit Rockport at about 0800. No live shrimp, so got a dozen black salties. I let Tiffany free line salties on a XMAX Rockport rattler while I threw rockport rattlers with a rootbeer cocahoe minnow. Nothing on the flats at Little Bay except several missed strikes. We waded to the channel. Still nothing, but I was looking for a small oyster reef that I know is there. I could see it and was watching closely because there was alot of nervous water around the reef, when bait fish scattered every which way and a BIG trout busted threw the school. I called Tiffany over and showed her where to cast. She landed a perfect cast and within seconds that big trout slammed that saltie! A brief run, and it got off. She baited up again and threw back out. Within a minute, a BIG red hit her saltie! That red took off running and I noticed that I had her drag set too tight. She was trying her best to horse that red in-her eyes were wide as saucers, she was putting every ounce of her strength into reeling against the red. She commented that the fish was stronger than she was. She got the fish close enough to me that I got a clear look at it and was readying the net when it made another run. SNAP! Her line broke! She was laughing hysterically, and I thought she was going to hyperventilate. This was a 28 inch plus red if I ever saw one-and I saw this one from about 2 or 3 feet away. She said," What a RUSH! That's gotta be better than drugs!"

She had a few mis-casts after that, so I tossed one out for her to show her where the bait needed to be placed. As I handed her the rod I said, "That's gonna catch you a fish there". BAM! No sooner had the words come out of my mouth and another red hit her saltie. This time, I had her drag set right and she played the fish out. A few minutes later she landed a 21 1/2 inch red. She said, "Okay-so I now TOTALLY get why you love fishing so much!"

We missed a number of reds and she missed another nice trout that hit a live shrimp under a popping cork after we ran out of Salties and the shrimp boats came in. We caught sand trout, and dink specs. We had lots of chances to land fish, but they just beat us today, but this was an awesome trip! These were Tiffany's first big fish and her first big reds.

I am going to have to stop taking her fishing though, because every time I take her fishing, she outfishes me!

The bad news-I took a pic of her with her red and I accidentally deleted it
I'll be more careful the next time and be sure to post the catch.

This cooler weather seemed to get the reds moving a little. The next two months should get awesome!

·
Roll Tide!!!
2,974 Posts
Great post Centex! Glad your daughter had a blast and a great day on the water. Something about Dad's taking their daughters fishing. I get a better rush off watching my daughter catch fish than ones I hook myself. My daughter turns 18 next month. Still likes to fish though...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Awesome trip. My kids have the same kind of excitement when we get into big fish, also. Plus when they are fishing, you don't have to wonder what they are doing. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts