2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished one of the many tournaments going on this weekend in the Rockport area. We caught a lot of fish but couldn't find any money winning trout.We fished in Mesquite as it had the best looking water that we saw the whole day. I kept 5 trout between 17" and 25" and released 6 or 8 others up to 18".The biggest was right at 25" and finished 10 ozs. out of the money. They were caught on a silver/chart. top dog early then a drunk monkey slurp later in the day. My wife and my buddy were fishing with shrimp and croakers and ended up keeping 6 trout,2 drum,and 2 reds with a few others released. All of our fish came off of shell between 2 and 5 foot deep.The biggest drum went about 22" and won first in its category so we made some money. The winning trout was 28" - 7.5 pounds and came out of the surf. There were 4 trout over 27 weighed in and the you had to have a 8+ pound red to make the top 5 and make some money.The weather turned out to be nice although there was not much tide movement nor a ripple on the water till about 10 am. My father-in-law went out and fished a few hours Saturday evening and they caught four limits of reds in no time in some of the ugliest water you have ever seen in St. Charles. We heard a man screaming for help Saturday afternoon and was able to flag down a boat before we could get to ours and they went over and fished him out of the bay after he slipped off into some very deep water with only his bait bucket keeping him up, I never like hearing that panic scream when you no things are not good but luckily all ended well. All in all not a bad day especially considering when we get to our place in Lamar I realize I took all my tackle to the house last weekend to reorganize it and forgot it there. The last pic. is of a guy who runs about 150 yards in front of us while we are wading then drops down the trolling motor on his new Majak in precedes to tear up all of shell on the reef getting over it then fishes the other side of it. We keep on fishing that way then he turns around to come back our way due to not catching anything (what a shock) and goes between my buddy and the island behind him kicking up shell then when that fails he jumps out and pulls it across the reef not 20 FEET from him. This just a sign of the times I guess and to think they are developing about 400 or 500 new home sites just in Lamar.

Michael

If I'm Not Here I'm Headed South

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Great Catch man!! Were heading south for rockport tommorow morning!! I hope we got on the like yall did!! Ill post reports Wednesday when I get back!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts