2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old (butt kickin', name takin', honor rollin') daughter wants to pick up the guitar. Of course she wanted an electric, but I told her if she was serious, I'd get her an acoustic to start. I expected her to say, "Never Mind Then," but she didn't.

So, I need suggestions on what to get her to start. I don't want to go broke on one until I am confident she's gonna stick with it.

When the lowest grade on your report card is a 91, Dad is your friend. Anyone else taking their kid to see Green Day? LOL

·
Banned
355 Posts
You can pick up Yamaha acoustics all day long for less than $100. The pawn shop by my house has two of them. Give her something she'll want to keep. Not like the Hondo my Dad gave me 30 years ago.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Dude, don't be cheap! Get her an Ovation! ;)

Seriously, though, like Gary said...pawn shops are usually pretty cheap. You should be able to score a decent Yamaha or Ibanez in the $100 range. I bought my Takamine at a pawn shop for about $180, and it costs double that new. You can get Takamines, Fenders, etc. in the $200 range at a pawn shop. Also look at eBay. If you want to buy new, I got a pretty decent Ibanez a few years back at Guitar Center on Westheimer for around $200, incuding hard case, which you'll want.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Go to a local music store

They have guitars in different sizes. Takemine has some nice smaller guitars that won't put you in the poor house. Get some advice on what might be best for her from an in-house expert. That ain't me.

Also, maybe someone in here has a guitar they wouldn't mind parting with that would suit your needs.

Learning how to play has to be fun and not serious. I hated the lessons and never went back. Just taught myself. That's why I suck.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all... No pressure from me. She is a cocky little sh** and has always been a self starter. Just the way I like her.

Maybe I can pry Da Flinga from the computer and take him with me to shop....

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I'm in the same boat

daughter has been after me for several months to get one. I thought about the pawn shops, so off we went, the ones around here are very expensive (to me). The lowest price I found was just under $400.00 and that was used. A music store is our next stop. A music store runs ads on the radio from time to time about X amount off so we are going to hit it and look around then. I think Jetty Jumper had one he was will to part with a few months ago.

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
I'd suggest something with low action and easy to play being she's only 13. and something that will stay in tune is a must.
I remeber starting out and being very frustrated cause my guitar was very hard to play and wouldnt tune for more than 22 seconds.
furtunatly I saved money haulin hay ( started when I was 3 ) and got a good electric
which kept my intereast up.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright then let me ask... was I wrong in thinking she should start on an acoustic?

·
Registered
273 Posts
A classical would be good, but aren't the strings kinda far apart...Just go with an old pawn shop acoustic...maybe a Yamaha as mentioned above...You shouldn't lose any value on it, and if she gets tired of it or progresses, trade it in for a better instrument...I started on a Mexican piece that made my fingers nearly bleed and built up some great callusses...I think learning on this made playing a quality instrument all the better when I had progressed enough...Definitely don't start out with an electric...Let her learn the chords and the basics first...All an electric will do is give the whole house a headache...But definitely get her a guitar...One of the best things you can encourage in a child is music...

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Classical

I still find it a little difficult to play a classical guitar. Electric is too easy and, IMO encourages bad habits for rookies.

Regular ol' acoustic should be good, but a smaller model.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Drew

Yea, I can go with ya. Ill agree with Going Coastal. Low action is a must. And yes, definitly go with an acoustic. Guys who start with electric get caught up in barr chords and wanna rip metal and they really never learn the basics. They will never get really good otherwise. I shy away from pawn shops. Most of those guitars have something wrong, like a twisted neck. Guitar center and Evans have really nice guitars, but they aim at the higher end market. Andy bought a really nice one at H&H on I10 for $100. Youll need a tuner also. About $20. And right off the bat, change the strings. Its imperative that the newbie has a guitar that plays easily and sounds true. Your just not learning to play, but developing the ear at the same time.

Lemme know when yer ready.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Drew,

How about an electric acoustic. I bought a Yamaha 12 string (not reccomended for beginners) with hard case, fishman pickup, and installation for $360. The six strings run cheaper. All of this from Guitar Center. A little more than you want to spend, but if she bails on it, you probably can get most of your money back.

Congrats to her on her accomplishments! And if she balks at an acoustic, play her some Ann and Mary Wilson!

Rick

·
Registered
447 Posts
Andrew, how a beginner wants to begin is soo important.. Is she into Sherly crow ??.. or into more rock as in Avrle Lavine ??.. It is so important to know that first.. I'll tell you why.. If its classic rock like Crow, then she must start with acoustic and stick with it.. If its rock, then its a whole other venue and needs a whole other start.. Acoustic music is my heart and soul and i back it totally, but, i also have played with some amazing rock guitarist that grew up learning in the ROCK venue and are just as wonderful as the rest. There is a band locally called "'Guppies from outer space" that has a female (beautiful female if i might add) lead guitar player that can play a guitar like any i've ever seen.. I enjoy their show as much as i would any Jimmy Buffet show..

What i mean here, is, find out her wants are first, then lead her in that direction.. wether acoustic or electric, music is fun.. Back her wichever way.. Peace...

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Angelina Hates Sherel Crow and Avril Lavigne. She likes punk rock and death metal. She loves bands like Slipknot and The Used. She also likes Rancid and The Sex Pistols.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
Angler2407 said:
..She likes punk rock and death metal. She loves bands like Slipknot and The Used. She also likes Rancid and The Sex Pistols.
RUH-ROH. :headknock: hahah

MEGABITE

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
LOL @ Randy.

Hmmm. Legate, is so right. But thats out of everyones league around here. MEGABITE would be the closest to Slipknot. Eh eh eh!:)

Thats drop tuning a Les Paul with a stack bro. Your looking at major bucks and very little talent. Its all about the sound set up.

Youll have to convince her to take the long route. Like in school. You have to study, its hard work, but if she wants to good, like her grades, gotta start with the basics. Nothing comes easy.

However, there are ways to make the learning curve fun. Its like rewarding someone who ate their veggies with desert. When that student learns open "G, C and D", and can strum them fairly well, teach them the same chords in barr. Teach them a simple run, something like "Smoke on the water". I know thats not the right chords, but you get my drift.

Whatta the rest of yall think?

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Angler2407 said:
Angelina Hates Sherel Crow and Avril Lavigne. She likes punk rock and death metal. She loves bands like Slipknot and The Used. She also likes Rancid and The Sex Pistols.
She also likes to post under my name. Which I GUESS is ok, but at least spell things right so I don't look like a moron...

·
Registered
33 Posts
guitars

I bought my son a Wasburn D100 guitar about 4 years ago. I think we paid less than 150 bucks and I think its a pretty good guitar.
Maybe not for a long time musician but better than the average beginner guitar. He still plays it a lot and I think he will keep it forever.

Now he is 17 and when he's not golfing, you can bet he is playing or downloading tabs to a song he heard on the radio.
I could'nt find the D100 on their web site, so they may not make it anymore. I do remember it retailed for much more than we paid. So keep that in mind if you decide to buy new.

Here is thier site. http://www.washburn.com/index.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts