2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
LMAO. You have no idea who I am or what I stand for. I disagree with you on this issue and that makes me problematic?
I know exactly what you stand for. Your opinion is all that matters. You disagree with statues of Civil War heroes on the Southern side; Therefore they should be removed. You know everything and everyone should listen to you. You are obviously against freedom.
It is OK to have an opinion. I am cool with that. We can agree to disagree. Just don't force your opinion on me.

·
You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
424 Posts
The irony that you are all so offended by this should not be lost on you.

·
424 Posts
I know exactly what you stand for. Your opinion is all that matters. You disagree with statues of Civil War heroes on the Southern side; Therefore they should be removed. You know everything and everyone should listen to you. You are obviously against freedom.
It is OK to have an opinion. I am cool with that. We can agree to disagree. Just don't force your opinion on me.
I'm not forcing my opinion on you, I just agree with the statues being removed. There's only one thing on this earth that I know for certain and that is that I don't know ****. I don't really care if we agree at all and to be honest and I really don't care if they keep, burn, enshrine or remove the statues. It makes no difference in my life whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The other side to this is what happens once the statue is removed. Take Lee Circle in New Orleans. Its been and just is a stump now. No plans. Still called Lee Circle to everyone.
Jackson square - remove the statue. Now what do they want to call it? Jackson square is a place just like Lee Circle.
Alright its gone Knuckleheads - You removed it - now what do we do?
These should remain in place as they are part of History.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am not offended by statues of Confederate soldiers in the least. That doesn't mean that it isn't offensive to someone that is equally as American as I am. I agree that our society has gone a little overboard with victim culture. I generally don't support the left on most issues, but the removal of statues dedicated to the enemies of the United States is ok with me. This isn't the removal of history, it is simply removing an icon dedicated to glorifying men that fought to keep other human beings enslaved.
The statues were not dedicated to enemies of the United States. They were dedicated to those who fought for what they believed concerning States Rights which effected their part of their country, taxation and tarriffs but not discounting slavery. By the way, the South WAS part of the United States so they were not enemies of the States

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Although I am not easily offended, I am on occasion. I don't do or say much about it because I know the world does not revolve around me and nobody really cares. But the statues being discussed were not built as memorials to fallen heroes and they weren't built as a history lesson. They were built during the Jim Crow era, starting 30+ years after the abolition of slavery and they were built in some cases, in states that did not originally secede. They were built in honor of a way of life and the cause and proponents of that way of life, which was pre-abolition south when slavery was legal and where Jim Crow were currently in place. Anyone who supports Jim Crow laws, the removal of the rights of black Americans through selective laws and segregation, in my mind, doesn't give a flip about freedom or liberty other than for themselves. Now all of you can pile on me.

·
424 Posts
Although I am not easily offended, I am on occasion. I don't do or say much about it because I know the world does not revolve around me and nobody really cares. But the statues being discussed were not built as memorials to fallen heroes and they weren't built as a history lesson. They were built during the Jim Crow era, starting 30+ years after the abolition of slavery and they were built in some cases, in states that did not originally secede. They were built in honor of a way of life and the cause and proponents of that way of life, which was pre-abolition south when slavery was legal and where Jim Crow were currently in place. Anyone who supports Jim Crow laws, the removal of the rights of black Americans through selective laws and segregation, in my mind, doesn't give a flip about freedom or liberty other than for themselves. Now all of you can pile on me.
Well said. I agree wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Again- an opinion. It is my opinion that the memorials to George Floyd are supporting and romanticizing a lifestyle (drugs and crime) that I do not agree with ( my opinion) yet I am not mandating they be defaced and/or removed.
I think we can agree that slavery was a terrible thing. It should have been abolished and would have ( in time) no matter who won the civil war. As others have mentioned - the civil war was about over reach of the federal government which obliviously, there are a lot of folks today that are more than willing to give up their freedoms to an over reaching government.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Slavery was more valuable than all the Railroads, all the industry, and all the banks-combined. It was a massive source of wealth and income. There were voices in the north demanding the abolition of slavery. Literally threatening the richest and most powerful citizens in the South. A huge chunk of their asset base could suddenly be declared worthless. The whole slavery issue was a big dam deal. It was absolutely about States rights. The right of States to keep slavery legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
424 Posts
When you compared Hitler to Lee it is obvious what we are dealing with in this conversation. Give me a break.
I wasn't trying to compare Lee to Hitler, I was trying to make an analogy. It may have been a poor analogy but it doesn't change the fact that these men that have had monuments made to them clearly fought to keep slavery legal in the South. I can see where that might be offensive to someone that is a descendant of American slavery. Honestly, what good reason is there to keep the monuments? Removing them doesn't change a thing historically but it does say that we have evolved from "The South shall rise again" mentality.

·
Registered
247 Posts
An elected state government made the decision to remove it. Those who say that the monuments were erected as a tribute to those who fought for states rights should praise the decision by their logic.

·
Got better things to do than play games
17,166 Posts
Removing them doesn't change a thing historically but it does say that we have evolved from "The South shall rise again" mentality.
That statement says a lot...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here’s an interesting question. If slavery was still prevalent within the United States, how prosperous of a nation would we be, in terms of crime rate statistics, and fiscal dependency?

While I’m not a proponent of slavery, I do often wonder, “What if?”.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well the profit margin is huge if you are willing to profit off of the misery and suffering of others. Sex trafficking of minors is an excellent modern example of that.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts