2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virginia removed the statue after 100 years. Isn’t it weird that nobody seems to care. Remember that whole massive outrage a few years back? Odd how public opinion flows back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,532 Posts
The Dems just want to keep everything in a state of control. They losing traction on the covid front so shifting to climate change. Idiots.

If the union was forming right now TEXAS would not join.

·
You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
426 Posts
I am right of center to be sure but I fail to see why we should keep statues of men that were traitorous to the country we now live in. I really don't understand the love affair with Confederate generals or the flag they fought for. It is a very odd dynamic to me.

·
One more cast....
11,568 Posts
Virginia removed the statue after 100 years. Isn’t it weird that nobody seems to care. Remember that whole massive outrage a few years back? Odd how public opinion flows back and forth.

Everything seems to be screwed these days. It is a sad and embarrassing time in America for sure and I don't see the ridiculousness going away.

·
Got better things to do than play games
17,142 Posts
I am right of center to be sure but I fail to see why we should keep statues of men that were traitorous to the country we now live in. I really don't understand the love affair with Confederate generals or the flag they fought for. It is a very odd dynamic to me.
That's probably because you don't realize that the cause of the Civil War was actually about state's rights & not slavery (which still existed up north AFTER the war).

There is nothing "traitorous" about Confederate Generals, nor Confederate statues in general. States’ rights are grounded in the United States Constitution under the 10th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The 10th Amendment specifically states that “the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

·
Play Deep
3,653 Posts
It’s more the fact of having someone tell you what to do - the PC wagon is off the rails. These historical figures have been around for a long time , so someone gets butthurt about “ social injustice” and “oppression” ….. oppression is not there for folks of color. We’ve had a president , and some of the wealthiest individuals are professional athletes - so I’m not into feeling we keep folks best down.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,532 Posts
Long past time that we stop caring about who gets their feelings hurt. Because it is an unwinnable game with moving goal posts. This current trend of changing everything to satisfy everyone just leads to more and more extreme needs and more and more extreme sensitivity. These weak pathetics have to be more outlandish and more outrageous and more obnoxious than the last to fill their need to get noticed and forcing these ridiculous issues. Domestic terrorism one step at a time. Dont negotiate with terrorists.

·
dontremember
3,255 Posts
sure. we need to erase history, so it can never happen again.

robert e lee was a great patriot and veteran of 2 wars. he answered the call of his civilian government. the winners get to write the history books.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Colonies were "traitorous" to the British Crown. Some colonists were slavers yet we treat them as patriots. Many signers of the declaration owned slaves and are hailed today as heroes. We should be more careful about what gets labelled "traitorous". Historical context matters.

Reactions: BAMF32

·
426 Posts
Discounting slavery as the major cause of the civil war is being purposefully obtuse. I am not discounting the fact that the men that served for the South in the Civil War were brave, honorable men, but continuing to honor them with statues is offensive to a large part of our society. I would liken it to creating a statue of Adolf Hitler in Germany because he did have some positive impact on the country, forgetting the evil that he created. Removing statues is not erasing history, it is removing the glorification of men that fought to keep slavery legal plain and simple.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discounting slavery as the major cause of the civil war is being purposefully obtuse. I am not discounting the fact that the men that served for the South in the Civil War were brave, honorable men, but continuing to honor them with statues is offensive to a large part of our society. I would liken it to creating a statue of Adolf Hitler in Germany because he did have some positive impact on the country, forgetting the evil that he created. Removing statues is not erasing history, it is removing the glorification of men that fought to keep slavery legal plain and simple.
actually comparing ANY American history to Hitler is equally obtuse. Yes, the civil war was about slavery, but it also was about states rights. This woke culture of erasing anything that offends anybody is BEYOND ridiculous. NOBODY born in the last 100+ years was a slave or a slave owner. Stop getting offended because Dukes of Hazzard comes on TV and get back to pretending you're an AMERICAN and not an African American, a Chinese American, Native American etc. You can celebrate your culture without forcing the rest of the USA to cower to you being afraid of a piece of concrete. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. We're seeing it right now with an idiot Democratic Party who enabled 9/11 and now is creating a culture for that same thing to repeat.

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,219 Posts
On June 12, 1936, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was on hand to honor the "warriors in the lost cause of the Confederacy" by unveiling the statue of Robert E. Lee in Dallas' Lee Park. The following day, The Dallas Morning News published a recap of the event, detailing FDR's speech and other parts of the gathering.

In a short speech, delivered from his automobile, FDR described Lee as "one of the greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen

·
Registered
104 Posts
Removing the statues is equally offensive to a large part of our society. I guess it doesn't matter if they are offended.
You are part of the problem with our country today.

·
426 Posts
actually comparing ANY American history to Hitler is equally obtuse. Yes, the civil war was about slavery, but it also was about states rights. This woke culture of erasing anything that offends anybody is BEYOND ridiculous. NOBODY born in the last 100+ years was a slave or a slave owner. Stop getting offended because Dukes of Hazzard comes on TV and get back to pretending you're an AMERICAN and not an African American, a Chinese American, Native American etc. You can celebrate your culture without forcing the rest of the USA to cower to you being afraid of a piece of concrete. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. We're seeing it right now with an idiot Democratic Party who enabled 9/11 and now is creating a culture for that same thing to repeat.
I am not offended by statues of Confederate soldiers in the least. That doesn't mean that it isn't offensive to someone that is equally as American as I am. I agree that our society has gone a little overboard with victim culture. I generally don't support the left on most issues, but the removal of statues dedicated to the enemies of the United States is ok with me. This isn't the removal of history, it is simply removing an icon dedicated to glorifying men that fought to keep other human beings enslaved.

·
426 Posts
Removing the statues is equally offensive to a large part of our society. I guess it doesn't matter if they are offended.
You are part of the problem with our country today.
LMAO. You have no idea who I am or what I stand for. I disagree with you on this issue and that makes me problematic?

·
426 Posts
All I am saying is that I can empathize with the offended on this issue. It doesn't mean I support the left on most things. I agree that 99% of them have lost touch with reality.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So do we need to have Ulysses S. Grant statues removed because he fought for what he believed in? What about George Mcclellan? Those traitor bastages. HAVE THEM REMOVED!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
On June 12, 1936, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was on hand to honor the "warriors in the lost cause of the Confederacy" by unveiling the statue of Robert E. Lee in Dallas' Lee Park. The following day, The Dallas Morning News published a recap of the event, detailing FDR's speech and other parts of the gathering.

In a short speech, delivered from his automobile, FDR described Lee as "one of the greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen

You know things have gone off the rails when conservatives are using the words of FDR as justification for their opinions.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts