2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have any problems with Robalos? There is a thread in the hull truth about them and someone started bashing them but they were backed up by a few others. I have heard good and bad about them. Any personal experiences, I am thinking that if my boat is not covered by insurance, I will sell it like it is for REAL cheap with the blown motor and buy a new boat myself. I like the way hydrasports, robalos, aquasports and a few others look but for the price robalo and aquasports are pretty fair competition.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
All boats get bashed at some point. Sometimes earned sometimes not. The only boats I have an issue with are the neglected ones.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Argo;
The only real complaint I've ever heard about Robolo's was about a '75-'76 20'er.
They said it was so overbuilt [heavy] that it was hard to get on the plane with the
recommended hp motor.
Jackie

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I had a 1980 18ft robalo cc. No problems here. The boat could stand alot more than I could. Toughest boat I have been on . It was heavy for its size. Only minor problems were due to my wiring inabilities. The guy I sold it to posts here occasionally.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Depends on when they were made. The AFM/S2 versions were over built. Other owners have significantly changed the design/lay up schedule.

My understanding is that some of the models being sold at some point in the mid-90's as a Robalo were actually what was previously sold as a Wahoo. The year and model is the key.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be looking at new if I was too look at them to buy. They run in the $50-60k range with twins which is cheap. Or at least they did at last years boat show.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Who are the current owners? What else do they make? Does the model you are interested in look remarkably like a model sold under another name (or that used to be sold under another name)? What is the reputation of that other model?

Why do you think they are cheaper than similarly equiped and similarly layed out models from other builders?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Argo,

The Robalo's are good boats, but if your interested in a hydra-sport
you can check mine out in port A. it has been a very good boat, very solid
The 2400 vector and twin motors is in the 60's

Andy

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
I habe a 1993 1820 Robalo its a very heavy sea worthy boat it is powered with a merc 150 and will run 40mph. They can be a wet ride or mine is when the conditions are right..it makes a big splash and with the right wind... get a rain coat.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't judge a boat on their history if they are not still owned/manufactured by the original manufacturer.

Robalo has changed hands a number of times and are currently under a different owner than they were 10years ago.

After everything that has went on with my boat and other boat I've read about I would be scared as H&LL buying a new boat.

Me I'll be buying a good hull and rebuilding it. If I had the cash I'd buy Argo's boat in a second (great lines on that boat). Pull her down, replace anything I didn't think would last, increase the size of the fuel tank, then repower with new high tech engines.

You'll spend almost the same money, but you'd know what you had and who to turn to if she breaks!

·
Kamikaze
4,584 Posts
One thing is for sure, think twice, maybe three times before buying a boat manufactured by "Tracker"!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear you capt C, I have been juggling the new boat or rebuild my boat thing for a while. I am still not sure what I will do but am going to look for sure. If I am going to save up $20k or so in the next few months and lay some new heat on the back of my boat I am seriously going to consider dropping it in as a good down on a new 25-28'er. If I do sell my boat with the blown motor on it it will be for less than what I am sure you think it will be..... I will wait untill everything with insurance is said and done and then do some soul/boat/motor searching.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've never liked Robalo boats. The 25' never appealed to me because it had ugly "lines." The bow never curved up like other boats. It looked like the freeboard at the bow was the same as at the stern. Just could not see how a boat like that would handle rough seas. I could very well see the bow getting stuffed pretty easily in rough seas.

Also, comparing a 18' boat to a 25' is like comparing apples to oranges. A small boat by a particular brand does not compare to a larger boat by the same brand. Different designs come into play.

Not sure I'd compare a new aquasport and robalo to a new Hydrasport. From what I hear the new hydrasports are some very good boats. I have heard nothing but praise on these boats and they would be on the top of my "to buy list." So, I would definitely take the Hydrasport over the other two mentioned.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Eric said:
I've never liked Robalo boats. The 25' never appealed to me because it had ugly "lines." The bow never curved up like other boats. It looked like the freeboard at the bow was the same as at the stern. Just could not see how a boat like that would handle rough seas. I could very well see the bow getting stuffed pretty easily in rough seas.

Also, comparing a 18' boat to a 25' is like comparing apples to oranges. A small boat by a particular brand does not compare to a larger boat by the same brand. Different designs come into play.

Not sure I'd compare a new aquasport and robalo to a new Hydrasport. From what I hear the new hydrasports are some very good boats. I have heard nothing but praise on these boats and they would be on the top of my "to buy list." So, I would definitely take the Hydrasport over the other two mentioned.

Get Wild

Eric
Yeah we just got a new Hydra-Sport. It seems to be a very solid boat, and is very good looking. Its a little bigger than what you guys are talking about but i like what ive seen out of it so far, (only one time in it since we got it friday.) We got the 33 Vector CC with triple 250 yamis.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have fished on a 25 Robalo for years. It is one of the old AMF robalo's it is currently
on its 4th engine. It will run about 41 mph with a single 225. I do not think they were overbuilt. The old ones like this were self bailing, no bilge pumps, same kind of construction as a whaler. The newer ones are not built like this and are basically the same as a number of other boats. I personally do not like the style of new boats with the plastic rear ends they put on them and call them a bigger boat, I know they do this to put the engines further back for various reasons. The manufacturers have taken advantage of this selling what was a 23 footer with a sea drive bracket as a 25 foot boat etc. I do not think you can buy any boat on its name alone. The boating business seems to go through cycles where someone buys a top name boat line cuts materials for a while until everyone figures it out and sells it to someone else who makes their money by restoring it to its former stature. I would not buy a robalo the way they are currently made, the long time robalo dealer in houston dropped them because they are basically not made like they once were.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Eric said:
CCbluewater,

What happened to the Triton? :p

BTW..where are you going to college at?

Get Wild

Eric
Well after a weekend in a 36 with trips, my dad couldnt resist. Got a good deal on the 33, and he went for it. The triton was a sweet boat, i liked that boat a lot. Now we have a lot more range and can go quite a bit faster. I am going to Blinn in College Station. Hopefully transfering to A&M next year.

·
Registered
403 Posts
did he trade in the triton? where at??

I just left college station last year. it is a blast. have fun

justin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts