2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out early on 6/7/04 in a 21' Sea Pro to the North Jetty, things were slow all around. Headed out into open water after a few hours because the sea wasn't too rough and found 2 rigs almost straight off bolivar beachfront about 10 to 15 miles away. This was the first time we'd ever been rig fishing and shark seemed to be the only thing around. Does anybody know of any rigs within 20 miles of the galveston jetty that harbor snapper, ling, or kingfish? Didn't seem to find them on those 2, and no more rigs in sight so we headed back that afternoon. Nevertheless, a fun time and a new experience.

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
Miles, do you have a GPS? If so, head out of the jetties at 130 degrees for about 18 miles and you will find rigs. Also head out at 180 degrees and at about 200 for about 20 miles and you will see rigs. No keeper snapper at these rigs but usually plenty of kings and if you go another 10 miles out to Heald Bank (130 degrees) you will find nice ling.
Where do you launch from? Are you just starting to venture out?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We launch from Galveston Yacht Club near the jetties and for the past year or so have focused on bay fishing, but a friend of mine owns an offshore boat and took me in it and now I seemed to be hooked. Ventured off for the first time Sunday, seas werent too bad so I thought I'd get a feel for the ride. You have any suggestions on how far out a tough bay boat can go in seas under 5'? Seemed like we could go as far as our gas tank could get us Sunday. All we caught were those pesky shark :p

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Re: tough bay boat

Downgrade your expectations there. I don't like to go out in 5 footers. Bay boat needs 3 foot or less with no chance of the winds picking up before heading offshore. What kind of bay boat?

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Bayboat offshore

First, describe the boat: length, how much freeboard, fuel capacity, power, what electronics, etc. A good quality VHF and quality 8 foot antenna are absolutely necessary. GPS and a handheld backup as well.

Then you need very good weather and seas under 5 feet can cover a wide range of potential problems. It seems apparent to me that you have never been in three to fours that are running a four second interval. I would say anything over two feet should not ever be considered in a 'bay boat'. Even a "tough" one.

Fuel range. One third out, one third back and one third in reserve. This is a rule of thumb that will help keep you out of fuel usage trouble.

I would also recommend you get someone who has a good bit of offshore experience to go with you until you have a good feel for handling the boat, navigating offshore, etc.

Then be VERY cautious and picky about the days you try it. I have seen some very small boats very far offshore on perfect days, but those days are few and far between. ALWAYS file a float plan with someone before you leave. Always have a very good weather forecast and then be skeptical of it.

The pond offshore can be unpredictable and unforgiving. Be cautious and you should be able to have some very good days.

I hate to sound so pessimistic, but a few fish are not worth your life.

Bob

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are hooked.
I wouldn't try anything in the 5' conditions. I do venture out in 2-3's but it is a slow pace, around 20MPH. I have a small boat with 27 gal of gas. That will get me about 90 miles if the seas are around the 2' mark and this year I will carry an extra 10 gal. The rigs you went to are located off Crystal Beach and there usually isn't anything worth catching there this time of year. Early spring and late fall it will hold specks.
I usually target kings because I have limited range. The 208's area is pretty good for kings and the occasional dolphin and ling.
Here a couple of good sites
Weather and sea states www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/westgulf.shtml
King fishing www.fishdancer.net/kingfish_kollege.htm
Fishing knots www.marinews.com/fishing/fk_main.htm
www.realknots.com
Trolling techniques www.dto.com/swfishing/meathods.jsp?Articleid=352&Articletypeid=115
Bait rigging www.leadertec.com/rignatbaits_index.html

Enjoy!!!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, I don't think its worth risking it for a few fish either. Probably won't venture out unless it's one of those days where everything comes together perfectly and is expected to stay that way, yanno. If I really am hooked, might look into upgrading to an offshore boat within a couple of years, lol.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
one easy fix would be to trailer your boat to freeport or farther south and you can have shorter access to rigs in deeper water. i had rather drive 100 miles in a car than 10 extra miles in a boat. this is from a guy that drives 450 miles each way to get my saltwater fix regularly....rick

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a 20 ft. Bayboat and didn't go out unless seas were 2 or less. Even 2 to 3's at bad intervals will whoop the **** out of a small bay boat.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Miles

Get a Rik Jacobsen fishing book. It is the only book with every number absoloutely correct and right on. I have seen lots of other books but most of them are junk. Riks number is 281-5452463

Charlie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts