2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to fish the short rigs this summer when the wind dies down. Our boat is big enough, but from the n jetty I can only see one rig to the east. I dont know if itis out far enogh, but I have a hot spot map that shows rigs and gps locations. Only thing is I heard they were taking some of them down. If I go a few miles out from the jetty can I see any other rigs to fish. I would hate to go looking for one that was taken down. I am interested in the short rigs only. Thanks

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
you can rig hop once you get out there. There's plenty of rigs, all within site of each other. Just be sure to put the end of the jettys in your GPS on the way out. Since they took down the light house, it's hard to see from any distance. While you are rig hopping, look for bait working, birds working and for anything floating that might be holding some fish. A gold spoon is hard to beat around the rigs in summer, along with live shrimp.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Short rigs

Go ahead and work the locations on the hot spot chart. Even if a rig has been taken down there should be enough junk left on the bottom to hold fish.

I would recommend that you get the current edition of Hilton's chart for more up to date locations and lots of natural bottom structure. You can get the chart at Cut Rate or Academy.

Good fishin'.....................Bob

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Top Spot Charts do not give actual rig locations. Just the center of the lease block. Thus, they are essentailly useless for finding past rigs.

The rig you can see to the North East off Crystal Beach is real shallow. Bear more due east out of the jetties, and you will see a bunch of short rigs. My experience has been that they are a lot less productive than the short rigs out of Sabine. Take croakers/Black Magic or decent sized live shrimp. Try combat fishing inside the rigs.

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
There are a number of rigs, reefs, wrecks and rocks within 20-30 miles of the jetties. If you travel south east of the jetties the water depth at about 25 miles is around 40-50 ft. If you travel south west the water depth at about 25 miles is around 60 ft. I usually take a heading of about 190-200 degrees out for about 10 nautical miles and hit a few reefs, then go 130-140 degrees for another 10-15 nautical miles to rocks and rigs. On the way back in I find some wrecks and rocks. Total round trip from GYB is about 60-70 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts