2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my 11 yr old a .243 at her request. We took it to the range to get her comfortable over it .

Well 30 minutes into it , I find that she is left eye dominate.

I tried to have her shoot left handed and she hated it......Could see much better , but hated it .

Your experience would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Have her close the left eye. If she can't, buy her some shooting glassses and black the L lens. Whatever you do don't let her "crawl the stock". She'll eventually try it with a scoped rifle and get a nasty ding. Binocular vision isn't particularly important shooting a rifle. If she wants to shoot a shotgun (and become a good shot with it) it's more of a problem. However the Kansas state trapshooting championship was won a couple years many years ago by a man who was blind in one eye, so it's not the end of the world even there.

·
Live Free Or Die
733 Posts
I'm the same way, do everything in life right handed except shoot a gun and a bow. I can shoot a rifle either way as I keep both eyes open. A shotgun is a whole other story....can't hit a thing if I go right handed.

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
If she is left eyed she needs to shoot left handed and now is the time to start. Kids learn language and shooting at an early age. I have a son the same way. He wants to pull the trigger with the right hand when the gun is on his left shoulder (or the middle of his chest). My daughter started out left handed I think because she copied me and then switched to right handed because it was easier for her to see. I have no good advice on how to communicate with a 6 year old which eye is dominant, but as you said when they get the picture of looking down a gun "it" explains itself. All of this is rifle of course, but it will be there when it is time to swing the scatter gun as well.

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
When my son was young 5 or6 he had a lazy right eye....Would not even try to shoot lefty...I got one of the eye patches that looks like a pirate.....Worked wonderful.....He is now 21 and shoots right and is a dead eye instead of a lazy eye....Plus he loved the patch.....

Reactions: slopoke

·
5th Generation Texan & Proud Of It.
403 Posts
Just let her shoot alot and she will adjust. Years ago when I went to Police Academy, the firearms instructor had all of us get up and and do the test to see which eye was dominate. He then had the right hand/eyes and left hand/eyes sit down. He told the rest of us that we were going to have problems. At that time I was 33 and was raised in the country and had shot all my life. After we went to the range and the instructor saw my target, he only said "Hmm, you'e shot before". Anyway, let her have fun shooting and she will figure it out.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
I am a rigthy all the way, but when I was in basic training, my drill sergeants recognized that I had a dominate left eye and made me shoot that way. I admit that I can see better through the peep sight (no scope) of an M16 rifle and ID targets and I shot very well in BCT. With optics, I have gone back to right handed since I find it less awkward moving around in a stand, but would shoot either way if needed.

Let her shoot both ways for fun, she will know what gives her best chance.

Here is a link to determine your dominate eye.

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am left handed and right eye dominant. For shotguns, with both eyes open, I have to shoot right handed. Took me two years to get comfortable with that.

For a rifle, shooting left handed with my right eye closed works just fine.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
You really don't have to black out the off eye completely: the standard procedure in shotgun shooting is to put a piece of frosted tape right over the "critical" point on the lens: in this case, right where the crosshairs would be in the other eye: lose focus like that, and the brain will switch over to the other eye: no big deal, and you still get the peripheral vision of the non-scope eye.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
I am the same way, have been my whole life. It is no big deal, you just learn to deal with it.

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
This is the procedure for "blacking out" glasses. Like others have said, have her shoot left handed, she will learn quickly enough and with time become comfortable with it. Again, as has been said, not such a big deal with a rifle but very difficult to become good with a shotgun when shooting against the dominant eye, the black out is about the only thing that really works. It can be learned for trap and skeet what the lead looks like as the birds always fly the same, but live birds or sporting clays are a very different story. Good luck and green to you for making the effort to get her involved.

You really don't have to black out the off eye completely: the standard procedure in shotgun shooting is to put a piece of frosted tape right over the "critical" point on the lens: in this case, right where the crosshairs would be in the other eye: lose focus like that, and the brain will switch over to the other eye: no big deal, and you still get the peripheral vision of the non-scope eye.

·
Get enough Brazos in your diet.
548 Posts
My dad turned 60 last April. Two years ago he started having trouble hitting dove and clays with a shotgun, after hunting most of his life. A guy watched him shoot and told him he was right handed/left eye'd. Apparently they can switch dominant eye at any point in your life. Dad's tried for two seasons to shoot left handed to match his eye dominance, and he's getting better at it, but it's hard to teach an old(er) dog new tricks.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Thats me... right handed but left eye dominate..

Years ago, I asked my dad about it, he said when I was a baby, I picked everything up including my fork/spoon with my left and, and he would take it away and put in my right hand.

I guess i was a natural left, but, he made me right..

I imagine there are many others that have similar stories..

Shotgunn'n is probably the one place where It really made a difference, I just learned to close my left eye when duck/goose/dove hunting.. Instinctive recurve shooting is where I didnt do so good..

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
My son is Left handed and started out Right eye dominant with his Red Rider. When he started shooting my .17 GAMO 800 he had major troubles looking through the scope. I finally got one of those toy eye patches and put it on his Right eye.
He's a pretty darn good shot with that scope now.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
My opinion on this is that if you are older, and have shot for awhile and are comfortable shooting right handed, making the switch to left handed is too tough, and that's when the "blocked out" left eye with tape, etc is probably the best answer.

However, at the age of 11, why burden them with that "jury rig" for the rest of their life. Make the switch to left handed shooting right now, and I promise within a month she will be comfortable. At 11 they haven't shot enough to become "engrained" into the right hand shooting position.

Firelt and Deke are correct regarding being able to shoot pistols and rifles ok right handed but being left eye dominant. You just close the eye. However, I would venture to say that neither of them shoots a shotgun very well. Yes I know it can be done. The best sporting clays, skeet instructor I ever had was blind in his right eye and shot left handed. I can't tell you how many 25 skeet rounds I saw him shoot with a pump 410.

If you don't have to "jury rig" it, why do it. Just make the switch, unless you don't think she will ever want to shoot a shotgun.

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have coached a few kids in shotgun shooting and a lot of young girls are left eye dominate. When most of these girls hit puberty there dominate eye will switch. I would give it alittle time.

·
Member of the 7mm STW Club
1,261 Posts
I'm right handed left eye dominant.Never had any problems shooting rifle with a scope,open sights on a rifle,bow with sights,shotgun with birds in trees,but flying targets give me hell.My left eye takes over and screws up my lead.I'm either too far ahead or too far behind depending on the direction they fly.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
One of my sons has the same problem. he learned over time to shoot left-handed with and gun and bow. We found this out when he was 10. He is now 14 and has no problem shooting. Good Luck. It was uncomfortable for him as well in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I was 6 or 8 I was shooting an open sight .22 and couldn't hit a paper plate from 20 or so feet. My grandfather realized that I wasn't closing my left eye and that was because I can't. To this day I can only close my right eye by itself. Can't for the life of me close my left and keep the right open. My grandfather took the gun and put it on my left and been shooting that way ever since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts