2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Prehensile Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that trolling strip baits behind King Busters and Smoker Chokers might be effective for near shore kings. Would someone offer pointers on strip size and colors, hook size, trolling speed, and rigging tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on the size of king you are looking for but the snapper slapper with strip bait or sigar minnow works well for kings in the average size 10-20 lbs. and very speeds from 5-10 knots. Color of snapper slapper that works well is the pink/white or pink/yellow in the medium size and be sure to add 60-75 lb wire leader to the rig to cut down on lure lose. As for as the size of strip bait 2" wide and 6-8" long but no longer or you well need to add a third hook.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Many years ago I used to put my boat in the surf and fish the rigs south of Bob Hall Pier. One day nobody had ribbonfish to sell for bait. Being long before Spanish Mackerel were regulated we stopped and caught a cooler full on the way out. We decide to cut and shape some strips from them and troll them on our Kingfish leaders that had green and pink skirts on them. We got a 52# and a 43# within sight of the beach. The sight of that biggest one skyrocketing in the air with the bait in it's mouth is something I will never forget.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts