2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im relatively new to blue water fishing and have a few questions about oil rigs. Is there a difference between a stand pipe and an oil rig besides the distance from land? What makes one rig better then another for holding fish given equal water depth? Also, I'll be fishing out of Port A. Are there any certain rigs or rig types that your not allowed to tie to? Thanks for the help. I've learned a lot from this board and hope to put it all to use next week!

·
Registered
693 Posts
A standpipe is a rig, it just has one pipe sticking out of the water and a 4 leg system underwater. As for what makes one rig better than another - The ones with fish are better. Sorry for the pat answer, but that is the fact of it. Too Many factors affect the which is better than to list, and it changes from day to day for pelagics. For bottom fish the most importand factor would be fishing pressure. As for tieing up, as long as they are not maned, no problem - Just keep an eye out for service vessels, they can come up quick.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome to the Big Blue Pond. Usually you cannot tie up to anything that floats. I usually refer to a standpipe as the single pipe rigs 1 leg to the platform versus a rig which usually has 4-6-8 or more legs. I think the more structure under water is what matters as far as holding the fish. Even stand pipes have a fairly wide base at the bottom. Single pipe goes down to a base of 3-4 pipes. You can see this on your bottom machine or will find out when you get hung up. Good luck.:bluefish:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The older the better. They will let you know if you need to untie due to a crew boat coming or working above you. Oh yea dont climb the abandoned rigs and jump off.

IT HURTS!!!

The 30 mile range rigs are good to me out of port A. Due east. Stay right on 90 deg. and you will hit a rig at about 16 out called the tarpon rig and then pass double yelow within a mile or so. The next rig you come to is a good one to stay around a while. I've always done well there. Bakers is also ok. still inline to the 90 deg. heading. Thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Tim

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I don't like manned rigs. Ditto anything overhead. I'm still feeling my way around out there, slightly nervous, learning. If you DO decide to fish one with activity, keep a sharp eye out and look up and locate the escape pods. DO NOT mess around under those. Ditto any big pipes which look like they might be wastewater or powerplant exhaust. And it's a good idea to hail the rig on 16 and see what's up.

I know lots of guys fish them and maybe I'm being a big wuss, but there are plenty of little unmanned pipes in the areas I usually fish. Would like to hear from more experienced rig runners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts