2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 270 bolt action Remington. I love the gun but have a very inexpensive combo scope that came with the gun. I need a serious upgrade. I would like to stay under 200.00. My dad really likes his Simmons but I can not find them like I use to. There seems to be many new brands out there and wanted to see if you have any suggestions. I currently have a 3-9X40. I don't want to see a mile just a clear image at 100-150 yards that is fog free.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
If want to see fog free, clear image and presumably at twilight then you need to step up. Quit playing around with junk, toy optics and spend a little more money for quality optics.

For $100 more you can buy a good Leupold VXII (my choice), or a Nikon, or an upper end Bushnell. A good scope will last you a lifetime. How many times will replace slightly less expensive junk? How much do you spend on junk in a lifetime versus the one time for quality?

It's your choice, your money. I just think you can spend a little more and never have to worry about your optics again. Especially if they have a lifetime warranty.

For $300+/- you can buy a Leupold VXII, 3-9x40. You'll need to add Leupold or Redfield bases and rings for another $75. But it's the last scope you'll ever buy for that rifle.

·
Member of da MYC!!
448 Posts
For a little bit over 200 you can buy a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 which is a very nice scope for the price!!!

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
Heck, I've got about six or so Simmons sitting in a drawer that you can have: of course, you can't really see jack through them... Really junk IMHO. Ditto the Leupold or Nikon: you can spend that much for them now, or that much for a succession of Simmons and such as they fall victim to recoil, etc. over a few years...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds like you've got a Rem 770...Your best bet would be a Nikon Prostaff at $189.00; or a Burris FullField II for $199.00. Both scopes will give you better clarity than the Leupolds in the same price range!

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,861 Posts
Sounds like you've got a Rem 770...Your best bet would be a Nikon Prostaff at $189.00; or a Burris FullField II for $199.00. Both scopes will give you better clarity than the Leupolds in the same price range!
I have that Nicon. For the price I love it. I hunt the piney woods where my shots are 50 to 70 yrds and I made a 225 yrd shot with it last week. It does a real good job at gathering light early and late.

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
you said the gospel there land pirate....Why do people buy a nice rifle and equip it with a 10 cent scope????I'm not a leuopold fan but one things for sure....your guns no better than your scope and your scope ain't no better than the mounts...two places you should never scrimp on $$$$$....rio

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
All excellent advice above.I put a Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40 w/ target turrents on my Rem 700 SPS 308 heavy barrell and can drive tacks w/ that combo.Remember.....good scope....good crisp light trigger....and ammo that your rifle likes are the first keys to accuracy.The rest is up to the shooter.

Give R&M Firearms in El Campo a call....they'll hook you up...they even mount and bore sight and adjust the scope to you for free if ya buy from them.Good people over there at R&M.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Leupold, Nikon, Burris and Pentax... have been very pleased with all these products.... great optic clarity and all now offer BDC plexes within different series... and best of all, within the +/- price range you seek...

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
Don't forget that Leupold also offers the "Rifleman" series budget scopes that are head and shoulders above the other "budget" scopes out there. Under $200 for the top of the line in that model series.

Other than that, the rest of the guys covered it all!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If want to see fog free, clear image and presumably at twilight then you need to step up. Quit playing around with junk, toy optics and spend a little more money for quality optics.

For $100 more you can buy a good Leupold VXII (my choice), or a Nikon, or an upper end Bushnell. A good scope will last you a lifetime. How many times will replace slightly less expensive junk? How much do you spend on junk in a lifetime versus the one time for quality?

It's your choice, your money. I just think you can spend a little more and never have to worry about your optics again. Especially if they have a lifetime warranty.

For $300+/- you can buy a Leupold VXII, 3-9x40. You'll need to add Leupold or Redfield bases and rings for another $75. But it's the last scope
you'll ever buy for that rifle.
Top of the line ,Simmons Aetec,ain't no junk>>>>>I have 5-6 of them and unless you will spend 400-500 for a Zeiss,they are as good as any other you can buy.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
IMO, once you've used the best, why settle for less? LEUPOLD, you will see the difference! Try using "junk" in moonlight (1/2 moon or greater) and see what I mean. Target acquisition is almost impossible with budget scopes. Most are sufficient in day light hours, it's low light situations that tell the tale. Buy what you can afford, you can always upgrade down the road. Lots of good advice here!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Burris

Buy Burris. Leupold charges quite a bit to cover all of their overhead and marketing. Burris prices are not quite as inflated as Leupold, but they are quickly getting there. Other decent scopes for the money are the Sightron SII, Nikon Monarchs and some Pentax. Spend the extra money, because in the field you can tell the difference. It's hard to tell the difference in the store, but you'll see what we are talking about when that big boy comes to the feeder right at dark.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Buy a used Luppy. Who cares if it has a ring mark or a scratch? It comes with a lifetime warranty, and Luppy will fix it if it ever breaks. Pay $.50 on the new retail dollar and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I got a Nikon Buckmasters Sat. as a Christmas present to put on a Savage 99 that I inherited from my grandfather. I am really impressed with it so far. It is very good during low light and I used it Monday night to spotlight hogs with. I could actually see the hogs with just the light from the moon. My buddy that hunts with me has a zies and he was even impressed. I am not saying the buckmaster is as clear as his zies but it also didn't cost. $700+. It is a 3X9X40.

I actually think the buckmaster has better low light performance than my VX-III on my Rem 700.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts