2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for new rifle...

Some of my friends say to get a 270. Never shot a 270.

My dad shoots a 7 mag, and i like it...

I would like a gun that i can shoot 200+ yards with if i need to...

Tell me what yall shoot and why yall chose it...

Thanks GG

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
A .270 has less than 2" of drop from a 100 yard sight in, so basically it will hit where you aim out to about 250 yards. So, to answer your question, it will shoot 200+ yards as will most high powered rifles, .243, 30-06, 7 mag, etc. I have been shooting a .270 for over 30 years, don't know why I chose it back then, but it will perform. Without a little more info about what you will be hunting, can't really give any further recommendation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go with the 7 mag, you'll have the same as your dad and it'll drop anything in its path. I have mine sighted in 2" high at 100 yds and put it on the mark at 300 yds and never have a problem.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,336 Posts
You will get many many opinions on this subject. There are so many choices that will do the job perfectly. Alittle more info would help. What is the intended purpose for your new rifle? Both of the calibers you mentioned are great rounds for Texas whitetail and just about all the rest of the N. American game animals.....Me personally, I love my .270 win. It has and will continue to do everything I need it to do. And does it quite well. It isn't the only long gun I own but for deer sized game, it will hunting with me.........Just some thoughts:: Nothing will make up for a poor shot no matter how much gunpowder you put behind it. Whatever you choose, make the effort to become proficient with it. Spend some time at the range punching holes in paper. It will make you a better and more confident shooter. It pays off in the end. Good luck and post up what you decide on,,,,,Jim

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,072 Posts
Personally, I shoot a Winchester 223 carbine.I feel that you need to find a gun you have confidence in.I always put myself in a position where I'm only gonna shoot no more than 150 yards.I love the recoil, speed,& accuracy with this caliber. But most hunters like more knock down power.I'm mainly a meat hunter so I shoot for the neck.Guess if I was gonna make long shots & wanted more knock down I would choose a 257 Roberts. You asked.

·
Master of Boats
1,432 Posts
You will get many many opinions on this subject. There are so many choices that will do the job perfectly. Alittle more info would help. What is the intended purpose for your new rifle? Both of the calibers you mentioned are great rounds for Texas whitetail and just about all the rest of the N. American game animals.....Me personally, I love my .270 win. It has and will continue to do everything I need it to do. And does it quite well. It isn't the only long gun I own but for deer sized game, it will hunting with me.........Just some thoughts:: Nothing will make up for a poor shot no matter how much gunpowder you put behind it. Whatever you choose, make the effort to become proficient with it. Spend some time at the range punching holes in paper. It will make you a better and more confident shooter. It pays off in the end. Good luck and post up what you decide on,,,,,Jim
Well said. Pick any of the calibers mentioned, buy a quality bullet to put out of it, a good scope on it ---- go forth and slay mass amounts of the critters of your choice. Me? 243, or 300 WM.... or uh.. 308, I HATE making decisionss, ONLY ONE CHOICE??????

let us know what you decide,

·
TxDuSlayer
4,776 Posts
I shoot a Winchester Model 70 .270 its the perfect gun. I took it on my bear hunt in Canada it rolled that big bear when I shot him. Get some hand loads made up for your rifle you will be amazed! A 7mag is over kill for deer hunting in Texas, unless your making 300yd plus shots on a long sendero! 7mag is for Elk or Mule Deer hunting where your making long shots across canyons and things like that. Most places in Texas your not making those types of shots. Just my .02 worth.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
I have a Browning A-bolt in .270, a 7mm Mag in a custom FN Mauser, and a 300 Weatherby, among others. However, when I go to the field I always end up with the trusty .270 in hand. I've shot deer dead in their tracks beyond 300 yards. I have a lot of confidence in this rifle. In my opinion (for what that is worth) there is no need for anything bigger than a .270 on WT deer.

Besides, using Hornady's Light Magnum ammo with 140 grain BTSP (boattail spire point) I'm getting 3110 fps. Those numbers are nearly matching the 7mm Mag and with less recoil. So what's the advantage to choosing the 7mm? I don't see one.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I have a 7 mag and a 270. But the 270 is all you will need. I bought the 7 mag for elk in the mountains. Dads kill numerous mule deer at 300 + with a 270. Cheaper bullets less recoil. Enough said.

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
I've shot deer with a 7mm mag, a .264 mag, and a caliber that was borrowed and, well, not really for deer. None of the animals made it more than a few steps from where they were shot. Most were shot in the ear.

I don't get the need for mags on smallish (compared to northern) white-tails. A well-placed shot from a 270 or 243 will put down deer at ranges as long as you're likely to try. If you're good enough and confident enough to take shots over 200 yards, you don't need to "make up" for bad shot placement with a mag. If you're not sure you can place shots past 100 yards, don't shoot! If you plan to hunt bigger stuff and just want one piece, then go for it... my 2c

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
For whitetail and pigs out to 200 yards there are too many choices to list. Maybe go to a big sporting goods store, shoulder several makes of rifle, find one that comes up properly, and buy it in a caliber from 6.5 to .30. Put some good optics on it and start shooting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the inputs, the most ill be shooting is WT, Hogs, javilians, and all the other critters but in the future i wish to take an elk in Colorado. I will be going to the range more to calm the nerve and set my eagle eye on target.

Im probibly going to go with the 270. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs, the most ill be shooting is WT, Hogs, javilians, and all the other critters but in the future i wish to take an elk in Colorado. I will be going to the range more to calm the nerve and set my eagle eye on target.

Im probibly going to go with the 270. Thanks everyone
The .270 or a 30-06 either one will do all your going to need done for anything your going to hunt. If you ever get into loading your own that makes either just that much better. The factory loads for either are easily found even in hole in the wall places, should you loose or run out of ammo.

With either, even the standard Remington, Federal, Hornady and or Winchester factory loads are plenty for anything in Texas and I would only go with the premium loads IF and that's a big IF they shot CONSIDERABLY better than any of the standard loads. Most will generally shoot around an inch or less at 100yds and do a great job on deer and hogs.

I would top it off with a Nikon or Burris variable until you get very comfortable with it. Heck most of my rifles now are topped with these and I have no issues with them at all. They come in at around 350 or most of the decent mid ranged models, and have great warranties.

Good luck with your choice, I am sure you will be pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.