2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Ribbon Fish Recipies Any One?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Reel Woman 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share this funny story with everyone! I really got a chuckle out of it!

Neither Ed nor I have ever fished from jetties (piers yes) before but after reading Brewjr’s report about the Freeport jetties this past week we decided to make the trip to Freeport for a little bit of evening fishing and the possibility of catching some nice ribbon fish for offshore POC. We not only had a great time but caught plenty of ribbon fish! LOL!

At one point in the evening, I decided to take a walk further down the jetty to see what everyone else was catching. As I was walking, the group in front of me caught a ribbon fish so I stopped and asked if they didn’t want it, could I have it. The fellow politely told me that he had already promised all his ribbon fish to the oriental group fishing next to them. We exchanged a bit more fishing conversation and I went on down the jetty. I won’t go into detail about the group at the end of the jetty but I can say I hung out with them observing and talking for the next 30 minutes or so. I will say that they had the jetty thing down and were the only people catching fish other than ribbon fish on the jetties! I’m talkin big trout and lots of break offs from bigger fish! Their techniques totally blew my mind!

Although I could have hung out with them the rest of the evening, I decided I’d better get back to fishing and started the long walk back down the jetties. As I was passing the man who was giving his ribbon fish to the oriental crew, he stopped me with the question “Excuse me but, well ah, how do you cook up those ribbon fish anyway”? I really had to hold back an explosion of laughter! I was polite and explained we use them for bait. LOL!

So what do you guys think, fillet and fried, pan broiled?

Brewjr, if you want to hear about the guys on the end of the jetties give me a call at (281) 392-4145.

See less See more
#6 ·
LOL, Kim! That reminds me of...

...the time we were joking about the recipe for fixing cabbage-heads (the big white round jellyfish with the mild sting). Remember, I came up with the Cabbage-head pico thing. :biggrin: When I saw Badhabit's thing about cevechi it instantly reminded me of the pico stuff. I think for the ribbon fish I would chop up somefresh ribbonfish meat, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro...squeeze on a little lime juice and stuff the heads of large ribbonfish with the concoction and serve them in crisp corn tortilla bowls with iceberg lettuce leaves llining the bottom of the bowls. Place 2 or three of the stuffed heads, up-ended, in each bowl and surround them with wedges of peeled avocado.

MMMMM-Mmmmmm! :cheers:

#8 ·
Ok,

you guys talked me out of it! While we were fishing, a guy started talking with me about the guys at the end of the pier wearing golfing shoes and catching ballyhoo in a cast net to fish and that they were the only ones catching trout along the pier. We, you know I was curious so I made the long journey to the end.

As I approached these guys, I could tell they were fishing far differently than anyone along the pier. Very sophisticated lights & equipment but what really caught my attention was a huge (probably 30 gal. bucket with aerator working in it). I couldn't see what was in the bucket so I started talking with these guys. As it turned out, Sal was the master mind of the operation so I asked him about hearing about the ballyhoo. Basically, I've only ever seen them frozen and thought they were always located on the east coast. Sal said they were using ballyhoo and told me to get one out of the bucket. I looked around for the bait net and there was none! Yikes! Sal said just to reach in and grab one so I did! Out came a nice ballyhoo! We talked and hung out for a long time but basically, these guys were wearing golfing shoes on the edge of the rocks and cast netting them. While I was there they brought in several nice trout but one of the guys hooked up with a fish that appeard to be about 3 or 4' long. He fought it for quite awhile before it broke him off!

These guys really gave a good show! I'm hoping to hear from Sal since he did say he'd be happy to get ballyhoo for me in the future. BTW, he also said flounder go crazy for them!

#12 ·
Glad you got some ribbonfish and I know there is a huge hole ,at the end on the beach side and I have seen some nice flatties pulled out of there and some nice nurse sharks(a 7 footer) I saw that when I was there catching some bait for a offshore trip that was one of the days I caught I think 32 Sheppies

#15 ·
Well,

You couldn't see into the bucket but the one I pulled out was about 6". Now, on the other hand, when I reached in and grabbed the first time I felt one that was much bigger! Yikes, I hate reaching into something that I can't see. Kinda freaked me out at first.

These guys were wearing golfing shoes and standing on the rocks so that their feet were in the water. Then they were just using a cast net?

This sounds like a new adventure for BrewJr?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.