2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retired about 4 years ago and finished my honey do list a while back. Between fishing and hunting there is a void that needs filling. The wife does not retire for a couple of more years so travel has to wait. I built all the "bird houses" the neighborhood needs so now I need something useful to do to fill my time. I have some voluntier projects going and need something else besides turning beer into ..well you know.
Open to suggestions. thanks, daddy honey

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh Bill I follow you guys making pens and such and have been impressed. Thinking about the mini Jet Lathe alot lately. I have wanted to make some preditor calls and found some instructions on the Preditor Masters forum. Thanks for the feed back also Bobby...how is that band saw working out for you?

·
Fish, Eat, Sleep...REPEAT!!
476 Posts
"Between fishing and hunting there is a void that needs filling."

I am a little confused??? What is this "void" you speak of???

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got into exercise. Try to go workout everyday and starting riding bikes. I try to ride two to three times a week. My plan is to be in the best shape of my life in another 6 months or so. Still got a way to go.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike riding is of interest. Year before last I rode the MS 150 and came into the finish in the top 1/4. The wind was awful and with the hills #$%^&. Really made you reach down inside for the guts to keep on. Will give it another shot. My knees do not allow running anymore however. Always loved the long runs.

Brewing...Last night I decanted a couple gallons of peach brandy I made. plenty stout but not as tastey as I would have liked. Going to look into the beer thing.

Never could get the h ang of the guitar but always liked the Bules. May have to pick up a string bass and play along with the CDs.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also if anyone does this, I have been reading up on F-Class target shooting and would like to get involved. From what I read on the 6mm Br forum and others I get a little confused on different elements of the game. Not like there a lot of 1000 yard ranges around the Houston area to go and ask questions of participans. If anyone here is an F-Class shooter I would like to pick you brain before investing the cash on equipment.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of construction stuff at the house, I built another patio with outdoor kitchen and a first class pizza oven that weighs about 10 tons. Makes great pizza but not very cost effective. Lots of fun at parties however. Maybe I aught to go into the outdoor kitchen business.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Dogs and books

Do you have a dog? If not, then now you have time for one for sure...esp with wife still working.

Books? Now you have the time to read for pleasure. Find your nearest library branch.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
You might try volunteering also. When I was in high school there was a guy that would volunteer helping out with ag and wood shop classes. There are may kids that can use a good male role model.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I like the shooting sports and suppose there is a youngster or two that could use some mentoring in this as well as life in general. I used to do some work with gang member in the community that was a success. Never a shortage of need there.

The reading thing is what I do a lot of now. W.E.B. Griffin books are wonderful. Lots of insight to the military and law enforcement, both of which I worked in. Going to read up on American Indian stuff and learn about my heratige.

·
Registered
635 Posts
daddyhoney,
My last day will be Thursday, Dec 10, and I will be retiring also. I have some friends that play golf every day, so I will join them. They play at first light and are done around 10:30, so it leaves the rest of the day for other things. My wife needs to work a couple of more years too, so I told her I would cook supper as long as she is working and I am not. The rest of my time will be spent hunting, fishing, and doing projects around the house. That list is really long already.

Professor Jones

·
Registered
418 Posts
You've already got fishing and hunting, my other two favorites are windsurfing and archery. Plenty of people doing both well into their 70's.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Professor, My wife has had the best meals of her life since I retired and started cooking. The 2cool recipe forum has kept me in good form with all their ideas. Now that the kids are gone the place has never been cleaner and more organized. Not to mention I do not have to wait up untill o-dark thirty for them to come in at night. Kind of miss the entheusiasem (sp) of youth around the place.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts