2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I woke up this morning and my old cat had passed away. "Schubert" showed up at my house in the country three years ago. He was skinny and looked like he had been to war. He had cuts all over him with a huge rip through his skin on his chest showing about an inch of his "meat". He came home most nights bleeding from new wounds. I wound tend to them the best I could. His hair was short and his skin was rough and bumpy from past scars. It took him about a year to trust me enough to even touch him. When I was able to get him in a crate (that's a story that is too long to tell) I got him to the vet for shots and also (well you know he's a tom). I told the vet it might be a good idea to sedate him somehow before he took him out of the crate because Schubert would try to tear him apart. The vet said he was very old and only had a few teeth and most of them were broken off at the gumline. He also told me that his skin was so tough that he broke off two needles when he tried to vaccinate him. Schubert was never scared of anything and would stand up to any dog that tried to chase him. After several months he settled down and stopped fighting for the most part. His hair started to grow out, he fattened up and I guess I spoiled him rotten. I never knew that his coat was so pretty. I am really a "dog" person but I guess I just love 4-legged critters, especially those that need my help. I am glad I was able to make his last few years comfortable for him. No more cold nights (I put a space heater for him in the garage), no more having to hunt for food, and no more trying to sleep with one eye open wondering what was going to try to kill him. Rest in peace Schubert, I will miss you.

Attachments

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
haha...he looks like an old grumpy fart....rest in peace...sucks to lose an animal, hopefully he can relax now in kitty heaven.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pal, Shubert. I had a cat for 22 years and he died trying to protect a new family baby cat from a mean Tomcat. I didn't realize how much he meant to me until he was gone.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
I know it's tough to lose one Bro. But you really helped the old man out and gave him what he needed. It was a good retirement. I firmly believe that people who show kindness to animals, as well as other people, are rewarded for it in this life or the next.

Reactions: Reel Time

·
Saved by Jesus Blessed by God
2,767 Posts
Gosh Reel Time sorry to hear about Schubert prayers and condolences
Losing a friend is always tough. I'm sure he's waiting for you at the
Gates of Heaven.Blessings to you for taking care of him in his last years

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
I have been a cat person since about the age of 4 when I first saw a pic of a cheetah(which became my favorite animal).
Your story sounds so similar to what I went through a few years back.

He looks like he was a heck of a friend and you were the best friend he had.

RIP Schubert.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
It sounds like you and Schubert were fortunate to have each other.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for all the good words. I dug a shallow grave for Schubert in the back yard. While I was digging the other two cats (Mozart and Chopin) that adopted me ten years ago came to look on and try to make sense out of what I was doing. They sniffed around for a while and then just watched. I still need to make some kind of gravemarker for him. I buried him on a hill overlooking a creek where he can chase all the squirrels and birds he wants.
( Just an aside. Yes I am a big ole sucker for homeless animals and I took these other guys in and got them all of their shots and you know the other thing. I accused the vet from down the road of dropping these homeless critters at my house but he denies it.)
We'll see how Mozart and Chopin do tonight without Schubert around. I think they will miss him as much or more than me. He turned out to be a kind and gentle cat. RIP Schubert.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
we have an old girl thats 16 years old. we think she's getting senile in her old age. she pee's on anything (socks, etc.) left on the floor for any amount of time. if i'm in the recliner, she's in my lap. you do get attached to the little boogers.

·
omanj
558 Posts
You reminded me of what my Mom did for a couple of cats in my life. Both were Tom cats. The first one was named Spot (my Dad named him because he was grey and white with a spot of grey near his white mouth). Spot was found inside a bbq pit by my Mom in the apratment courtyard. Once she cleaned him up, we got him his shots and found him so appreciative of being inside our apartment and around us that we kept him. The second one was named Tazmania Devil (or Taz for short) by my Mom because he looked like the Warner Brothers cartoon charactor. This is the one that most resembled your Schubert as he had battle wounds all over. He was jet black in color with piercing green eyes and a head that seemed larger than it should be. His ears were so battle-scarred that they looked like they were chewed up. He was thin, but very muscular and heavy. I watch a bluebird flying down and pecking on his head one day as he walking near the bird's nest. Taz just kept on strolling as the protective bird kept dive-bombing him. Another time I saw Taz stand up to a great dane by slashing his nose with some well-placed claws. My Mom, Dad and I adopted both Spot and Taz with Taz being the outdoor kitty and Spot the indoor one as he was more domesticated of the two. Both cats have been in kitty-heaven for awhile, but thanks for reminding me of them.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,014 Posts
Sorry to hear about him passing. He was a very pretty cat. I have 4 indoors cats and my oldest is my baby and she is 15 yrs old. I pray she makes many many many more years. Not looking forward to that day every.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and hang in there.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,014 Posts
( Just an aside. Yes I am a big ole sucker for homeless animals and I took these other guys in and got them all of their shots and you know the other thing. I accused the vet from down the road of dropping these homeless critters at my house but he denies it.)
Me too!!! My wife accuses me of driving around to find them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Reel

Dadgumit' GOD bless! Our pets - to me - are our lifeline. I lost a little girl a couple months back and it decimated my entire house! Luckily I have som other babies to take up the slack, but had we not....Goodness Gracious I don't believe we would have made it thru!

Some folks just don't understand the love we have for our pets! Momma commisoned a gal' from right here on 2 cool and did a water color of my little girl as a gift for my Birthday/Christmas! I am a grown man but I still cired like a baby when I saw it. I hope every time you see the pics the same thing happens!

Dale

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts