2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to start guiding a little bit this upcoming season for ducks and was curious if I needed to get a license for it or what?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Only if you are going to transport folks via boat in saltwater, then you have to have a captain's lic. To guide waterfowl hunts you do not need anything but a standard hunting lic.

·
www.southtexasfishandfowl .com
740 Posts
Amen to the good jokes!!! Most folks understand, but you always have the ones that think since it's a guided hunt your supposed to make the birds fly. Good luck.

·
www.saltgrassretrievers.c om
820 Posts
Salty Dog said:
Only if you are going to transport folks via boat in saltwater, then you have to have a captain's lic. To guide waterfowl hunts you do not need anything but a standard hunting lic.
Wrong...

If you transport someone on a boat for hire you need a captain license no matterthe flavor of water.

In Texas you need a guide license from TP&W. Should be $200

And get some liability insurance.

·
Cajun 2 da Bone
4,090 Posts
I agree with the good jokes and line of BS.....when the birds ain't flying you gotta entertain.........ever notice when you are fishing with a guide, he always has all these stories about the places he has caught fish, even the spot you are in, while you are feeding the piggy perch.

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
If you transport on Navigable waters, you need the capt. liscence. Lakes do not count unless you guideing the great lakes. I am not aware of a guide license. There is a fishing Guide license.

So, if your gonna haul people out on your fourwheeler out on some property that you own or hve permission, then all you need is a web site, a phone number, and a great big sense fo humor.

If your gonna put people in your boat and run out in the bay then you gonna need to pony up and get your capt.lisence.

A lake guide(freshwater) is not requiered to have a capt. Liscence.

From the TPWD web site.(There is not a hunting guidesection)
Fishing Guide
Freshwater Fishing Guide (available at any location where licenses are sold) (Type 600) ........................................$125
Required for any person who for compensation,
accompanies, assists or transports any person engaged in fishing in the fresh waters of the state.

All Water Fishing Guide (available only at TPWD Law Enforcement Offices) Resident (Type 610)..........................$200 Non-resident (Type 710) ..............$1,000
Required for any person who for compensation,
accompanies, assists or transports any person engaged in fishing in the salt waters or both salt and fresh waters of the state.
A vessel license is required from the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) to carry passengers for hire on waters designated as navigable by the USCG. It is the operator’s responsibility to assure compliance with USCG regulations. For additional information, contact the USCG Regional Examination Center in Houston at
(713) 948-3350.
NOTE: NO PERSON operating a vessel or boat as a fishing guide on or in the salt waters of this state may be issued a Fishing
Guide license unless the person presents
documentation to the license agent that the applicant possesses a valid and appropriate U.S. Coast Guard Operator’s License.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Exactly Jason, good info. I didn't feel like arguing the point but I do know the vast majority of the fishing and hunting guides working lakes and even rivers in Texas do not have a USCG lic nor are they required to have one.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
anyone can purchase a license. What I want in a guide is (1) knowledge of birds, (2) access to good population of birds, (3) able to put out decoys in proficient manner, (4) able to bring birds to call, (5) ability to deal with older hunters, women and kids in a friendly helpful manner, (6) takes charge of the hunt advising clients of any do's and don'ts. (7) big smile and disposition that makes you want to have a cold one with him after the hunt weather you took birds or not, (8) can process or know where you can get birds processed (I do my own but not everyone does). Just my 2

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would add good quality equipment to the list and, hate to mention it but have had problems too many times, the guide should be sober.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
More important that the rest, make sure you have sufficient income or funds from another source to pay for your expenses, because guiding is rarely more than a way to get out often and hope to just break even. I've had a number of friends try it and some have had more success than others. These guys usually have (1) a full time job that allows them the days off to work as a part-time guide, (2) a good group of guides to work with and mentor them in the many aspects of commercial hunting, (3) quality property and a good working relationship with the land owner(s), (4) a great passion for being outdoors & (5) to a man, they are wonderful people to just be around under any circumstances, so the time spent in a blind or muddy goose field is enjoyable.

Good luck to you, it can be a wonderful life to live. You will see more in one season than most hunters in 10 seasons.

·
Registered
410 Posts
location, location, and well............... uhhhhhh.......LOCATION!

you could be a clueless duck hunter as long as you do your SCOUTING and set up a decent spread. Put your clients in front of so many birds that they don't have time to talk about things other than "There's so many comin in, Which one's should we shoot?"

·
Banned
682 Posts
fresh water dose not need a guides licn unless you are guideing on waters that border a states national forest such as S.H.N.F. or lake conroe then you need a outfitters/guides licn. and it takes about 3 months and about 2000$ to obtain and it is not garunteed and of course all the things everyone else said good jokes, good knoldege, good equipment etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts